FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite tier retaining
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:52 am
sopwith7

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by drajknox
My experience is that APD and SP credit shortly after takeoff (but NZT so may be a date up to a day later than date you depart overseas time) for NZ flights and since the existence of inflight WiFi I have seen evidence of this on many occasions. This is consistent with what Steve Biddle wrote. In the case of partner flights e.g. UA they often take several days.
Some people may be getting confused because of the time zones e.g. while it is currently 8Jul here it is still 7Jul in some parts of the world - so while NZ flights credit after takeoff it may be that the date is one day later NZ time and so when customers review their statements it appears they credited on landing.
That's the whole dumb crux of the issue. Seems that airpoints accrual operates in NZ time zone regardless of the time zone from which your flight departs; then after accrual, the date to which the SP are credited is the date as it reads on your boarding pass. So if you're crossing the date line, those two things can be up to 2 days out of sync.

Anyway NZ specifically told me that sp accrue when you land, regardless of what the app shows now that we have in flight wifi. Even if you depart on the right day, the sp also need to accrue in NZ time on the correct day. Annoying rules for a company which shuttles thousands of people per day across the dateline.