Elite tier retaining

Old Jul 7, 19, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ GE
Elite tier retaining

Iím going to be 12 days short on my earnings to retain Elite, does anyone know if Air NZ will make any exceptions on the roll over time when its tight like this?
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Doesn't hurt to ask but I doubt they will. It was Gold, not Elite, but I was 1 day late. They told me I was too late due to timezones. I left America and then landed in NZ two days later.

Well, a month prior before I booked my flights I had rung to ask about this issue. The person falsely told me over the phone it would count since my flight was leaving on the day my status credits needed to be attained.

That was actually not true. Turns out you earn them when you LAND.

So I was told false information and it was in my notes. So they let me have gold after all!

But they didn't want to give it to me: and that was much closer than 12 days. Again doesn't hurt to ask but I don't think they will, sorry!
Beano and sopwith7 like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Doesn't hurt to ask but I doubt they will. It was Gold, not Elite, but I was 1 day late. They told me I was too late due to timezones. I left America and then landed in NZ two days later.

Well, a month prior before I booked my flights I had rung to ask about this issue. The person falsely told me over the phone it would count since my flight was leaving on the day my status credits needed to be attained.

So I was told false information and it was in my notes. So they let me have gold after all!

But they didn't want to give it to me: and that was much closer than 12 days. Again doesn't hurt to ask but I don't think they will, sorry!
That is crazy. How can they tell different time zones? You could be flying from any corner of the world. I always thought that it would be the date of departure regardless of time zones.
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:22 am

I could be wrong in how I reemember it. But however it went down, yeah, I was one day late and wasn't sure if I would be a day late, and they almost denied me. They would have, if not for the record of my phone call.
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
That is crazy. How can they tell different time zones? You could be flying from any corner of the world. I always thought that it would be the date of departure regardless of time zones.
All processing is done in NZ so it has to be done in NZST/NZDT. As for the points not being credited until landing, this is not correct. SP/APD are credited soon after departure and this can be confirmed on any flight that has WiFi - you'll get an app notification often around an hour or so into a mid or longhaul flight.

Going back to the OPs question the answer is highly likely to be no, but there is no harm in asking. How many points are we talking about? If it's a small number (under say 10 - 15) they have been known to waive these for people who ask nicely. If it's a significant number you've probably got zero chance.
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
Iím going to be 12 days short on my earnings to retain Elite, does anyone know if Air NZ will make any exceptions on the roll over time when its tight like this?
Email the "elite" address, this happened to me, if they can see you have that upcoming booking and are going to be short they will bump you up early.
Can be a little hit and miss but generally they have been pretty good with me in the past.
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
All processing is done in NZ so it has to be done in NZST/NZDT.
Partner flights typically are not credited until a few days later, not to mention in the event missed accurals have to be retro-claimed. I doubt the NZST/NZDT has any meaning. Status Points are back counted when the flight departs not when it posts, right?
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post

Exact same scenario happened for me earning Gold - missed out twice because of the dateline. I went around and around with NZ customer service and the Airpoints team over this dateline / earning trigger and eventually they spotted me 10 points so I would qualify.

Contrary to sbiddle's comment (sorry, I know you are extremely versed in these matters, but I literally went through this last year):

All Airpoints calculations are done according NZST / NZDT time zone.

Points are accrued when you LAND (yes, I know the app sometimes shows points accruing after takeoff, but the official word from AirNZ to me is that points are accrued when you land).

Points are then credited according to the date you depart, according to the time zone from which you depart.

This all makes LAX > NZ flights near your anniversary day a huge pain. My advice is to make sure you're beating your anniversary deadline by at least 4 days if you're depending on status credits for a flight which crosses the date line.
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:26 am

Yeah. I have heard contrary things. My memory of the situation was the guy on the phone thought that my SP would be credited the day I left, but it only got credited once I landed. The more well versed staff I later talked to on the phone from memory informed me that this was why it didn't go through. The guy I had initially talked to was new.

Perhaps you have to actually be in NZ for the SP credits to trigger. Not sure!

Either way, this is one of those scenarios where clearly we have all had different experiences. Before becoming an elite flyer I would have assumed that all of the Air NZ staff knew the rules. Turns out there are so many that often times they don't 😜
Old Jul 8, 19, 2:37 am

My experience is that APD and SP credit shortly after takeoff (but NZT so may be a date up to a day later than date you depart overseas time) for NZ flights and since the existence of inflight WiFi I have seen evidence of this on many occasions. This is consistent with what Steve Biddle wrote. In the case of partner flights e.g. UA they often take several days.
Some people may be getting confused because of the time zones e.g. while it is currently 8Jul here it is still 7Jul in some parts of the world - so while NZ flights credit after takeoff it may be that the date is one day later NZ time and so when customers review their statements it appears they credited on landing.
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by drajknox View Post
My experience is that APD and SP credit shortly after takeoff (but NZT so may be a date up to a day later than date you depart overseas time) for NZ flights and since the existence of inflight WiFi I have seen evidence of this on many occasions. This is consistent with what Steve Biddle wrote. In the case of partner flights e.g. UA they often take several days.
Some people may be getting confused because of the time zones e.g. while it is currently 8Jul here it is still 7Jul in some parts of the world - so while NZ flights credit after takeoff it may be that the date is one day later NZ time and so when customers review their statements it appears they credited on landing.
That's the whole dumb crux of the issue. Seems that airpoints accrual operates in NZ time zone regardless of the time zone from which your flight departs; then after accrual, the date to which the SP are credited is the date as it reads on your boarding pass. So if you're crossing the date line, those two things can be up to 2 days out of sync.

Anyway NZ specifically told me that sp accrue when you land, regardless of what the app shows now that we have in flight wifi. Even if you depart on the right day, the sp also need to accrue in NZ time on the correct day. Annoying rules for a company which shuttles thousands of people per day across the dateline.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:09 am

Though out of the thousands of people gaining or just missing out on status each year are crossing the date line near their anniversary date and relying on it crediting just so to make status?

I suspect a low a number?

It must be cheaper to let a person on the phone talk to them than it is to document the business rules then, write and test the code to handle (what I believe to be) a corner case.
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Though out of the thousands of people gaining or just missing out on status each year are crossing the date line near their anniversary date and relying on it crediting just so to make status?

Well there are two of us in this thread 😉
​​​
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post

It must be cheaper to let a person on the phone talk to them than it is to document the business rules then, write and test the code to handle (what I believe to be) a corner case.
Probably! I don't really mind, it's just good to know if you are one of the corner cases like us that fly to the USA regularly.

For regular USA work flyers like me, we often have events we attend that happen at similar yet slightly different dates each year. So it makes sense that for us, we would be be accruing SP around a similar time each year. If one of your regular trips was how you bumped over that threshold, you can book your flights accordingly... Or beg Air NZ to wait a day or two 😜
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
My experience was different - I flew IAH-AKL-SYD departing the US on March 30th which meant I landed in AKL and my connecting flight was on April 1st. I needed all those status credits for that whole journey to qualify for gold by March 31st, and although I slipped back to silver for a few days, once the flights credited properly (including a UA flight MEX-IAH on March 30th, which I also needed in order to qualify) my status clicked back up to gold again. No action needed on my part, or special favours from the Elite team.

All of which is not to say that you should book your flights as I did and necessarily expect it all to work out, but it's one more data point for the record.

Search this Thread