FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight cancelled - BA arranged taxi alternative - advice
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:06 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Geordie_Flyer
Thank you both for your welcomes - I have confirmed the cancellation and refund option online to free up the seat. I will see what comes of it - I presume I will get a refund of the ticket I didn’t use. Do I then claim additionally for EC261? I’ll check out the dashboard too, very helpful. Thanks.
My reading of it is that you should get EC261 for the cancelled flight; but since (if I have understood correctly) BA transported you to Newcastle by taxi, you can't get a refund. If there is another sector on the ticket that would perhaps be different. There are circumstances where you can claim both a refund and EC261, but that would be on the basis that you had made - and paid for - your own arrangements to get to Newcastle, for example by train. [And for the benefit of anyone looking at this in the future, it is a different logic with delays rather than cancellations].