Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled - BA arranged taxi alternative - advice

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hello, I’m a long-time reader, first time poster, after a bit of advice please. I got caught up in the melee that was Terminal 5 last night. I arrived at the airport to find out my flight to Newcastle was cancelled. I actually got to the airport quite early in a hope to use one of the showers in the lounge.

There were no obvious members of staff anywhere so I rang the number in the text I had just received. The lady advised the systems were down and she couldn’t help, I needed to find someone in the airport.

I managed to find the ‘Hotel Accommodation’ huge queue in Zone F and joined it. Flights cancelled to Geneva, Hamburg, Inverness, Manchester etc. After about 45 minutes I had got half way up the queue when a BA member of staff announced a bus might leave tonight heading to Newcastle depending on numbers. Eight of us came forward and the lady said a bus would leave from stands 17 or 18 downstairs at 9pm and take us to Newcastle. She advised NO flights were going to Newcastle today (Sunday 7 July) which I can see is incorrect, unless she was inferring they were fully booked. She also said BA would NOT pay for a second night’s hotel accommodation (is this true?)

Based on the above I elected to take the bus transport. We were given complimentary refreshment vouchers and told to meet at the bus stop at 9pm. I got down there at 8.40pm and it was packed full of people trying to get on Hoppa buses which were full. It got to about 9.20pm and nothing had arrived. One member of the group went back up to find out what was going on, when they came back it turned out nothing had been arranged, and we should have gone to the Central Bus station and bought our own bus tickets which would then be refunded, and we should have also received compensation leaflets (which were never received).

By this point one of the group went for the hotel accommodation but BA had no more hotels, allegedly due to Wimbledon and people were being asked to book their own hotels and get reimbursed up to a certain amount (I think they were saying £200), which is chancing it on a Saturday night in London in July.

Another member of the group went back up and a BA member of staff came down who was much more helpful. He took us back to Zone F and arranged a seven seater taxi to Newcastle, taking our booking reference numbers and final destinations. We were also given more refreshment vouchers and a crate of water bottles.

The taxi left Heathrow at 10.50pm and arrived at Newcastle airport at 4.10am before taking me to my own home. Obviously the journey was very uncomfortable and today is a bit of a write off for me now.

I just have a couple of questions:

-I am still booked on the 9pm flight tonight. Should I formally cancel this (‘cancel and get a refund’) - If I don’t do anything will I be down as a no-show and have repercussions later?

-I paid £200 for my original flight (return), would the above scenario apply under the EU 261/2004 and would it be better for me to apply separately under this outlining the above series of events?

-Minor point - this was one of my last flights to gain enough Tier Points to retain Silver - what do I do based on either of above scenarios, would these be honoured?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
I'm afraid I can't be much help with advise here, and sorry to hear about your super long uncomfortable taxi journey, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
so3003 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings from sunny Northumberland, Geordie_Flyer, it's good to see you here, though the circumstances behind it are very poor. I admire your fortitude. There probably won't be a next time, but if there is, at least you will be able to use this forum to get better advice than you got yesterday, there is usually someone clued up online at any given stage. That said, it was good that a BA agent did arrange the mini-bus and water, I'm sure the staff in T5 were just wanting people to go away! It can't have been an easy day for them.

If you can do this online, just cancel the return flight, all flights are indeed full today since your cancelled service was the night stop, so you offloading from this evening's service may help someone else to travel. There should be a cancel option at the bottom of Manage My Booking. If you are checked in then you would have to call up. There won't be any implications for the no-show, unless there are further flights not taken so far. Tell the contact centre staff to note on your PNR that you were provided with a taxi by BA.

You are entitled to EC261 as far as I can see, there is a detailed thread on the forum, usually at the top of the listing but available via the Dashboard if it's not visible. If you were on just a NCL-LHR-NCL booking then you would be ok for 250€. You should also get the tier points for your taxi ride, you would need to claim after a few days, again there is a Dashboard guide to Original Routing Credits.

If you would be happy with just the 250€, then make a simple claim for that, making a very short statement, 4 sentences should be more than enough.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for your welcomes - I have confirmed the cancellation and refund option online to free up the seat. I will see what comes of it - I presume I will get a refund of the ticket I didn’t use. Do I then claim additionally for EC261? I’ll check out the dashboard too, very helpful. Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Geordie_Flyer
Thank you both for your welcomes - I have confirmed the cancellation and refund option online to free up the seat. I will see what comes of it - I presume I will get a refund of the ticket I didn’t use. Do I then claim additionally for EC261? I’ll check out the dashboard too, very helpful. Thanks.

Let me also provide you with an ambassadorial welcome, now that you're here I hope you do stay around and join in the fun ^

Yes, you should receive a refund automatically back to the card you used to pay for the ticket.

You may now make a (separate) claim (EC261) with respect to statutory compensation for the cancelled flight, here is thr link to get you started: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...rtal#pageTitle

Once you've got that going, have a look at the dashboard for the thread dealing with ORC (Original Routing Credit) to request the lost TPs.
tynmar likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond

Just add my welcome to the BA forum too.

i noticed you mentioned nearly silver. As nothing was flown you’ll earn zilch (and I can’t believe you got a cab) try and book a cheap back to back day trip somewhere and start enjoying those silver perks

edit : ignore me, I didn’t know about original routing claims, good shout tobias. Best of luck with all the claims
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My reading of it is that you should get EC261 for the cancelled flight; but since (if I have understood correctly) BA transported you to Newcastle by taxi, you can't get a refund. If there is another sector on the ticket that would perhaps be different. There are circumstances where you can claim both a refund and EC261, but that would be on the basis that you had made - and paid for - your own arrangements to get to Newcastle, for example by train. [And for the benefit of anyone looking at this in the future, it is a different logic with delays rather than cancellations].
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone, very helpful - the option on manage my booking was something like ‘cancel and refund’ so I just went through the relevant pages - I’ll see what happens. I have also completed the separate EC261 form online and will work on the Original Routing Credit.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Also, the thing about not paying for a second night of accommodation was cobblers. BA are responsible for accommodating you until you can get to your destination.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd advise the OP to be very careful about the timing of the decision regarding ORC. It's not obvious to me that ORC will apply, especially if a refund is paid for the cancelled flight. If OP is close to the end of his/her TP collection year, be sure that if ORC hasn't been granted by then, some alternative MR is done to guarantee the required number of TPs. A small extension to the year might apply, but again be sure to meet all deadlines for this so that status isn't forfeited in the end due to not receiving TPs for the flight that became a long shared taxi ride.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:08 pm

It’s probably not a big deal as different departments will be looking at it but I would have got my ORC first, then applied for EU261.

Follow instructions in guide and contact them saying please provide Tier points and Avios for plane journey that I took by bus. Mention not delay/cancellation compensation.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - BA contacted me directly on here today via private message regarding Tier Points before I had a chance to look into this further myself. Quite impressed.
so3003, PAL62V, squawk and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your disrupted journey @Geordie_Flyer - it sounds exhausting. Glad that BA contacted you via FT - that's proactive customer service!

This one snippet from @corporate-wage-slave made me smile:

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should also get the tier points for your taxi ride, you would need to claim after a few days, again there is a Dashboard guide to Original Routing Credits.
I didn't realise it applied to other forms of transport. Logically, I suppose, it makes sense. But I hadn't come across it on here before, so this is another bit of useful knowledge that I hope I will never have to use
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help above. I’ve had the return cost of my flight refunded, my Tier Points and Avios I would have gained have already credited to my account, and the EC261 compensation will be paid into my bank account within the next few days.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:36 am

Thanks everyone for all your help above. I’ve had the return cost of my flight refunded, my Tier Points and Avios I would have gained have already credited to my account, and the EC261 compensation will be paid into my bank account within the next few days.
Credit where it's due - it looks like the BA team have actually gone and pro-actively done the right thing here. Great result.

Now, given that a lot of us reading this would feel very positive about the outcome, I wonder if BA might actually realise that instead of initially refusing most reasonable approaches for compensation and making its customers run the gauntlet of chasing for compensation, TPs, etc, it might be far better for them in the long term to act like they have here. Happy customers who realise that sh*t happens but are more concerned with how it is cleared up afterwards. It makes for good customer relations, saves BA £££s in having to deal with protracted issues which in the end they are responsible for, and in the end you have a customer base who feels comfortable in using a company that honours its commitments in a timely and professional way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.