FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:18 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windwalker
Think Marriott is getting ready to seriously Bonvoy me
Lifetime plat,

I'm getting ready to go back and start reading post from beginning but time is short,
So really hoping someone can offer some guidance/advice, please

Was issued a 7 night cat-8(950T) as part of a travel package on 7/31/2018
Called to use the travel package at Sheraton Okinawa(currently a Cat7) resort on 2/10/2019
Received confirmation email for dates of 7/16-7/23

Got email 7/4 that not enough points available for my stay
They are trying to take points from account for stay
Says cert is only worth 105,000 points

Called trying to straighten it out as soon as I saw email but seems no real help, supposedly talked to supervisor
she was going to email hotel and plead case, they emailed me back with basically a polite F-you

said I had two nights with current cert and they are willing to let me have a room for the other night at rack rate

Know I further see they took 100k points from account yesterday

Anyone with some idea on how to proceed?
The refund value of 950T is 135K, even the hotel does not understand the mechanism, it should see 135K not 105K, which sounds to me when you attached the cert - the Marriott agent goofed up and converted it to a NC5, while refunded you 30K?
Otherwise I dont see how the hotel sees it as 105K instead of 135K.

Please go back to the history of attaching the cert to the property and see if the cert matched the property category at the time of attachment. If it is, and the property has since gone up in category, Marriott can add the differential points to make the cert work - it has reported in this thread may be 3 or 4 months ago.

However if at the time of attachment, the NC cert is of lower category of the property's category at the time of booking but the rep attached it anyway, then you most likely out of luck.

This reminds me that last year some people were able to attach their LOWER VALUE certs to HIGHER VALUE properties, arguing that they were planning to use a Category 5 on the old chart, and now only get a cert for Category 4 - some reps attached the NC4 to a NC5 property as a result - those thought they had a windfall... Now based on what happens to you, I suspect those who were successful to attach an NC4 to an NC5 property may encounter this when their stays come near...