FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:21 pm
metallo

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flight44
It’s this simple: The loyalty programs are nothing but a lie to lure people to a carrier. If Dougie Boi can change the rules and inflate the value or make it harder and harder to use the points, he will.

And so it goes.
The latter part of your statement is probably true -- if possible, AA may attempt to limit its liability with regard to outstanding benefits, although in doing so, they have to attempt to limit negative effects on loyalty.

Overall, though, I'm not sure how this could all be construed to be pure lying. As far as I can tell, with the exception of a few errors over the years (mostly human error), I've received all the benefits to which I'm entitled. Those benefits may be ever-changing and, these days, seemingly constantly shrinking, but it's not like the whole thing is just some massive fraudulent scheme lol.