FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:30 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bse118
It always amuses me that people who voluntarily eliminate a large portion of potential SWU use are so quick to declare SWUs "worthless".

I mean it's certainly your prerogative to not want to waitlist. That's certainly a choice people make - and have good reason to do so. No criticism from me about a choice to approach things that way.

But where it loses me is the extension that a choice to not want to waitlist means SWU's are across the board "difficult to use" and "worthless". Plenty of people clear SWUs off the waitlist. My own personal experience is that I waitlist SWUs regularly - and I've missed 1 request during 4+ years of EXP status. Easy to use and plenty of value, IME.

YMMV.
I’ve had some success clearing upgrades at time of booking, primarily TATL. I’ve also failed to clear 100% of the times I’ve waitlisted. I take very few international trips a year, so if I fail to clear a waitlist, chances are my SWUs will expire unused unless I burn them for some 3 hour domestic flight.