FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Hotel Genova, Italy [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:38 pm
nevansm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Angry AC Hotel Genova, Italy [Master Thread]

Stayed at this property for 2 nights this week, and geez was it terrible. This is the only Marriott property in Genoa (Genova), which doesn't seem to be much of a premium market anyways. I decided to use points (12.5K/night) as rates were €200+ for my dates. I should preface the most negative part of this post by saying Europe was going through an incredible heatwave during my time here (39-40C), so I do give a little leniency with one of my issues, but still not a full excuse. Parking is below the hotel and requires a key, or press the call button when you arrive and they'll open the gate.

I had chatted in app prior to arrival, and was upgraded to a suite a one point, but this changed back to a "superior room" before I check in at the hotel. Check-in was quick and fine, thanked as Ambassador. Was told superior room was best they had, which was fine, I was going to be out of the room most of both days.

Arrive in room, no ambassador requests met (ice cold AC, extra water, nuts/small snack). The room is average size for Europe, with a larger than normal bathroom and a sparsely stocked minibar. Now, lets talk about AC, the room clocked in at 30C (I carry a bluetooth thermo/hydro-meter with me). I worked to adjust the HVAC system, but it just wasn't doing anything. There was also a weird rouge HVAC controller in the bathroom which had controls for humidity and temperature, but it did nothing. I was heading out, so I stopped by front desk to have them look at room. When I returned, the room was slightly cooler but still was at 24C. I can deal with about 21 max (which I don't think is much to ask for). I asked for a different room which was denied due to full occupancy, though even if there was one, I would bet it would be no better. I walked out and had dinner and drinks. The lobby was also incredibly hot. Seeing no end in site, I actually went in the parking garage and blasted the AC in my rental car for 30 min to cool down before bed.

Room was still at a stead 23.8C, so I knew it'd be terrible sleep. Bed is mattress only, very hard and uncomfortable. Next came the other issue. I connected to WiFi to watch some Netflix to help sleep. Upon connection, there was a non-standard portal, from a third-party (Purple), that offered 4/2 Mbps for free, or "limits removed" for €6.99 a day. Seeing how things had already gone at this place, I thought, might as well try the paid option and complain if it's terrible. It was terrible. I never got more than 2/1 Mbps with the paid option. There was a weak Vodaphone hotspot as well, but that was terrible to. This hotel should NOT be used for a business stay, EVER!

I opted for points instead of breakfast, and I don't know which was worse. I did have breakfast one morning because I was just so tired, groggy, sleepless, and out of it I needed to get out of my room at 6am. It was €12 and had a few pastries, cold cuts, barista coffee drinks, and supposedly 3 hot items. Well, they sat unfilled for 20 min (after asking 3 times if more was coming). I gave up, went back to my room, made coffee and ate a bag of jerky I had.

For a second day I asked the front desk to try and rectify the AC situation before I left for the day, this time, it went down .4C, down to a cozy 23.4C. Had I not had a bunch of bags, my rental car, and a long drive the next morning, I would've walked and gone to the Hilton.

On my departure morning, I did send an email to my ambassador detailing the various issues, which was replied to as soon as he was in the office and proactively refunded my points (I had not asked for that, but suspected he may do so). The property clearly is just skating by and hasn't been audited for adhering to brand standards, because this was one of the worst Marriott stays I've had.

All in all, this property is abysmal. Do yourself a favor and get an AirBnB or stay at one of the HIlton properties as this place is just not worth it.