FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 747 F vs J
Thread: 747 F vs J
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:32 pm
Oaxaca

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Having been upgraded from UD CW to F on a 744 multiple times (and paid for F many more), I have pondered this question more than once. For me, 744 F is the least of all BA F (though the 12F 772 with Rockwell Collins IFE pushes it), and the smallest difference from CW to F is a 62A/K or 64A/K seat to 4E/F or 5E/F. This difference is made smaller still on short night sectors like JFK-LHR, when I use few onboard services, as the OP outlines.

Still, although it is very close (and a lot closer than it should be), my conclusion is that any seat in F is better than any seat in CW, even my (and many others’) UD favourites, so I would never have a problem with it. Would I pay much more for it? No, not on a short night flight, though the extra space and better (for me) bed would still command a small premium. On a longer flight, it feels more justifiable.

As for 1A/K seat / storage space, I’m not a huge fan of those seats, partly for that reason. However, I’ve oddly found myself there quite often in recent times, since I would still take row 1 over centre seats as a solo traveller. My strategy is to use the wardrobe, stick the main carry-on there, pull up the handle and slot the laptop bag over the handle - limited chance of anything going on top of it (yet to happen to me, anyway) and enough space left for the other row 1 occupant to fit compliant baggage in the wardrobe (assuming it isn’t falling apart, as can be the situation on the more battered 52J 744s). It can be scuppered if somebody else in the cabin (often with oversized or excessive cabin bags) gets to the wardrobe before you.