747 F vs J

Old Jun 30, 19, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
747 F vs J

I occasionally end up flying F (mainly JFK->LHR) rather than J as the price can weirdly be lower occasionally or I get a random upgrade. I was in 1A on a recent flight and I was reminded that
  • the storage space is pretty much non-existent. There is nowhere to put a mobile phone and passport, and (in row 1) no overhead bin space, meaning you disturb some other passenger to access your luggage - worse still for laptop etc (and no the wardrobe is not an option for a bag with laptops in, as someone inevitably throws a large carry-on on top of it). Compare and contrast 747 J, particularly window-seat UD; I guess here you disturb the other passengers by tripping over their legs instead if you don't get the right seat.
  • JFK to LHR I eat in the CCR and go to sleep on the plane ASAP without eating / drinking. PJs and wardrobe are mildly useful but TBH I shower and change in the arrivals lounge in LHR if not connecting.
  • The bed really isn't that much more comfortable - sometimes it seems to have a lump in just the wrong place so may be less comfortable.
I've come to the conclusion the only point of booking this is if it's the same price or cheaper simply because you get another 70 tier points. And being OpUp'd from 62A/K (I think those are the window UD exit seats) is in this case not really an upgrade at all.

So:
  • Does anyone know if new 747F fixes at least the "no where to put any personal items" issue.
  • Am I alone in being a bit grumpy about 747 F?
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
I occasionally end up flying F (mainly JFK->LHR) rather than J as the price can weirdly be lower occasionally or I get a random upgrade. I was in 1A on a recent flight and I was reminded that
  • the storage space is pretty much non-existent. There is nowhere to put a mobile phone and passport, and (in row 1) no overhead bin space, meaning you disturb some other passenger to access your luggage - worse still for laptop etc (and no the wardrobe is not an option for a bag with laptops in, as someone inevitably throws a large carry-on on top of it). Compare and contrast 747 J, particularly window-seat UD; I guess here you disturb the other passengers by tripping over their legs instead if you don't get the right seat.
  • JFK to LHR I eat in the CCR and go to sleep on the plane ASAP without eating / drinking. PJs and wardrobe are mildly useful but TBH I shower and change in the arrivals lounge in LHR if not connecting.
  • The bed really isn't that much more comfortable - sometimes it seems to have a lump in just the wrong place so may be less comfortable.
I've come to the conclusion the only point of booking this is if it's the same price or cheaper simply because you get another 70 tier points. And being OpUp'd from 62A/K (I think those are the window UD exit seats) is in this case not really an upgrade at all.

So:
  • Does anyone know if new 747F fixes at least the "no where to put any personal items" issue.
There isn't a new 747 F... Only major change is on the 787.

And I'll happily take 1A over 64K won't pay extra for it though generally.
SuperstarDJ and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
Nope, have never actually been upgraded from UD J to F on a BA 747 but if I were my view would be similar to getting an exit row ET to non-row 1 CE upgrade - i.e. it's a soft product upgrade but not really a hard product upgrade. I'd be tempted to decline an upgrade from a row 62/64 window seat to a middle seat in F, especially on an overnight flight like JFK-LHR.
Old Jun 30, 19, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I have declined on upgrade from 62A to row 5K in F (so much noise from galley). I would never accept an upgrade to 5E&F unless I travel with my wife.
Old Jun 30, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
No seat in F on a 747 has any seat storage space to speak of, other than the suitor, which in 1A/K could be used to store a laptop.

All other A & K seats have an overhead bin.

Doc Copper

Old Jun 30, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Having been upgraded from UD CW to F on a 744 multiple times (and paid for F many more), I have pondered this question more than once. For me, 744 F is the least of all BA F (though the 12F 772 with Rockwell Collins IFE pushes it), and the smallest difference from CW to F is a 62A/K or 64A/K seat to 4E/F or 5E/F. This difference is made smaller still on short night sectors like JFK-LHR, when I use few onboard services, as the OP outlines.

Still, although it is very close (and a lot closer than it should be), my conclusion is that any seat in F is better than any seat in CW, even my (and many others’) UD favourites, so I would never have a problem with it. Would I pay much more for it? No, not on a short night flight, though the extra space and better (for me) bed would still command a small premium. On a longer flight, it feels more justifiable.

As for 1A/K seat / storage space, I’m not a huge fan of those seats, partly for that reason. However, I’ve oddly found myself there quite often in recent times, since I would still take row 1 over centre seats as a solo traveller. My strategy is to use the wardrobe, stick the main carry-on there, pull up the handle and slot the laptop bag over the handle - limited chance of anything going on top of it (yet to happen to me, anyway) and enough space left for the other row 1 occupant to fit compliant baggage in the wardrobe (assuming it isn’t falling apart, as can be the situation on the more battered 52J 744s). It can be scuppered if somebody else in the cabin (often with oversized or excessive cabin bags) gets to the wardrobe before you.
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I accept the view expressed that others that they prefer UD to F, but very clearly, I don't. If J and F are comparable in price, I'd choose F every time, and if I ever am upgraded from J to F which has never happened so far, I'll accept my luck gracefully. I find the F beds much more comfortable (admittedly, by far my favourite F cabin is the 388 but I've flown them all and would choose all of them over J). Things might change with the new J suite which I am very much looking forward to trying sooner or later.
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
As someone who doesnít utilise the shelf space UD J provides over 747 F, Iíd always take F as I simply find the seat better for sleeping and lounging, before the soft product benefits.

If you need to work though UD CW would be a better option
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar, *coughs* Currently: Silver
64K is really much more private, and has all that space near the window, perhaps more space in total than the F seats. I think I personally would decline an upgrade.

Unless I was in the mood for celeb spotting on a celeb heavy route, like to LAX.
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
BA isn't my favorite airline but I always take 1A (or 1K). My hand carry goes in the closet. My back pack above row 2 in the smaller bin which usually is no issue since it will not fit a big bag. My flights are longer than LHR-JFK.Since my destination is not LHR (just transit) if I wanted business class I would use one of the mid-east carriers.
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Assuming no real difference in price then surely the correct FT answer is that F is the correct choice as itís 70TP more. Compared to that all the other difference between F and J seem immaterial.
Old Jul 1, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Also, to add one more point on the UD side - F is almost always too hot to sleep in, whereas the UD is usually cool.
Old Jul 1, 19, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I find the F beds much more comfortable
Seconded.
SoggyDollar likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
I had 64K on 744 to LAS but chose the 372£ to F, didn't need the TPs, but the IFE on the old 744s is apparently terrible so I need the F service to keep me entertained.

I actually like 5K, I was on 1A on a night flight and felt cramped and don't get the fuss about it, 5A is probably bad because of the loo's behind you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: