FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 747 F vs J
Thread: 747 F vs J
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:52 am
abligh

Programs: BAEC GGL
747 F vs J

I occasionally end up flying F (mainly JFK->LHR) rather than J as the price can weirdly be lower occasionally or I get a random upgrade. I was in 1A on a recent flight and I was reminded that
  • the storage space is pretty much non-existent. There is nowhere to put a mobile phone and passport, and (in row 1) no overhead bin space, meaning you disturb some other passenger to access your luggage - worse still for laptop etc (and no the wardrobe is not an option for a bag with laptops in, as someone inevitably throws a large carry-on on top of it). Compare and contrast 747 J, particularly window-seat UD; I guess here you disturb the other passengers by tripping over their legs instead if you don't get the right seat.
  • JFK to LHR I eat in the CCR and go to sleep on the plane ASAP without eating / drinking. PJs and wardrobe are mildly useful but TBH I shower and change in the arrivals lounge in LHR if not connecting.
  • The bed really isn't that much more comfortable - sometimes it seems to have a lump in just the wrong place so may be less comfortable.
I've come to the conclusion the only point of booking this is if it's the same price or cheaper simply because you get another 70 tier points. And being OpUp'd from 62A/K (I think those are the window UD exit seats) is in this case not really an upgrade at all.

So:
  • Does anyone know if new 747F fixes at least the "no where to put any personal items" issue.
  • Am I alone in being a bit grumpy about 747 F?