FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Selling Postcards at Airline Collectible Conventions
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:13 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Yeah, me too. And meals were a lot more elaborate (up front) then too - proper cocktails and canapes, roasts carved on a trolley etc.

So true. The old "proper" style of service has unfortunately been replaced by that which is generally most expedient. Most of today's flyers were not raised in that era of "proper" cocktails, canapes, roasts carved on a trolley etc., and so consider today's stripped down service standards as perfectly amenable, if not acceptable, while they enjoy the flight in their track suits or shorts and t-shirts. Sigh... How times have changed. That said, this is the new style of travel so I guess we old timers need to get with the flow. As much as we can, of course. I mean, everything within reason, old chap!

Wonderful report though. Bit of a fail missing the First Wing at T5 LHR as we've been campaigning for a 'cut-through' since the Terminal opened and it does keep you away from the great unwashed (heh heh). I haven't flown BA F this year yet, but I hear the canapes are back and the food has been tweaked up a bit. Loved this report. We are blessed.
Thanks for the kind words, BOAC! ^^ Based upon my February flights, I would hesitate to say canapes are back just yet. I mean, honestly, what we were served was a pre-appetizer. Canapes are wonderful little pre-appetizer tidbits that are every bit as much eye-candy as they are delectable. I'd really like to see BA (and other airlines) bring back a good batch of them to be served with cocktails. Naturally, they'd be presented on trays from which we could select as many as we'd like.

Avianca First Class ~ circa 1965

Pan Am First Class circa 1973

SAS First Class Smorgasbord - Those were the days!