FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wedding + Honeymoon: South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:16 am
LDNConsultant

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui (Day 3)

Another beautiful morning in Koh Samui!

On the 2nd day, the wife and I wanted to schedule a snorkeling tour around the islands of Koh Samui. However for the past couple of days the waves and the wind have been extremely strong. However, the wife and I decided to book a VIP (pun intended) snorkeling tour. A representative from the tour was present at hotel and we booked directly (luckily the cost of the trip will be put against the hotel bill thus extra SPG/Marriott points). The morning of the tour, we got confirmation that the weather has settled down but the waves and the winds were on the strong side. The tour group picked us up from the resort at 9:00 AM and we were on our way to the Pier. We made several stops in other hotels/resorts throughout the island but we arrived promptly at 9:30AM.

Once we arrived at the pier, it was a bit hectic. Since the pier was a gathering spot for other tour groups, we were assigned to obtain appropriate color wrist bands which indicated your appropriate destination. After a quick 15 – 20 minute, we finally headed to our boat. The boat held circa 30 – 40 individuals and we were soon headed to Koh Tao Island. Koh Tao Island is roughly circa 1.5 – 2 hour speed boat ride away from Koh Samui. The ride it self was extremely rocky and to say the least it was FAR away from VIP as one could imagine.

After a rocky 1.5 hour speedboat ride, we finally arrived at Northern part of the Koh Tao Island – Mango Bay. As part of the tour package – we were given snorkeling gear and given circa 1 hour to relax on the island. Mango Bay had restaurants and bars (not part of the tour package) or individuals could relax on the beach/island. The wife and I decided to snorkel for the hour.

After an hour or snorkeling we packed up and all had a quick lunch. The lunch was basic Thai lunch with appropriate meat, curry, rice and soup at a local restaurant on the south part of Koh Tao Island. The lunch was basic but it was fulfilling to say the least. After a quick 45 minute lunch, we were all headed to Koh Nang Yuan.

Koh Nang Yuan is a short 15-20 minute away from Koh Tao and its truly paradise. The enticing aquamarine waters, the white sand, and the picturesque rocks setting the perfect scene. The tour package included a 100 THB entrance fee and for reminders the island prohibits plastic water bottles (upon arrival). The island has one resort and one restaurant (the service is impeccable in the sense that if you don’t sit down and order the boss will yell at you – unless you were either European/American).

After 2 hours on the island and much of the same activity (e.g. snorkeling and relaxing on the island), we headed back to the boat and were on our way back to Koh Samui. Since the wind and waves were extremely strong, it was an extremely bumpy ride. After an 1.5 hour boat ride back and several bouncy waves – we were finally back to Koh Samui. For 2,500 TBH per person, the full day tour was a good deal. However, once I was on the island and started to compare the quality of the boat/accessories to other tour groups ours was little bit underwhelming to say the least. A quick conversation with other groups whom paid just 500 – 1000 more THB than what we did – I could have done a little more research but the convenience of just booking via the hotel was extremely easy.

We arrived at the resort at 5:30 PM and Tong invited the wife and I to Ambassador Drinks.

The drinks were excellent but a little kid was causing little bit of an issue (more to come on this front later in the night) – he was playing with a laser pan and using it to point at individuals. The hotel staff were excellent in treating the situation quietly and promptly.

After a long day of outdoor snorkeling, we just wanted a quick dinner thus we choice Kiree – a Thai restaurant within the resort. We ordered several dishes from the menu – however as previously stated the resort’s F&B was slightly underwhelming.

After a dinner we decided to relax in the home and our pool. However after couple hours after dinner that same kid whom was playing around with the laser pen started shooting his laser pen into our room several times. It actually hit my eye once as well as one of the hotel workers whom checked upon the status of our room. After several complaints to the hotel management whom went down to the restaurant to talk to the kids and his parents – it still didn’t work. Since it hit my eye, I decided to go down and talk to the parents to discuss the incident. I approached the Dad (whom was French and couldn’t speak English) to tell him about the situation (his daughter translated). I told him “Your son has been playing around shooting laser pen into our room and hit my eye as well as hotel staff – could you please don’t let your kid do it again”. I’m not sure how that got lost in translation but the Dad basically reached to his wallet and tried to give me some THB. Now that I slowly got pissed off and the hotel staff could see that – they tried to state that the kid has been running around and shooting lasers several times, but the parents wouldn’t have it. Basically said F*** you in French and left.

After the incident, the hotel staff and management continuously apologies for the incident for which I told “its not your fault that the parents cant control the kid – he was basically shipping wine and smoking while his 8 year old kid was running around in resort by himself”.

Funny thing is that I saw the same family in the morning for breakfast. While I was walking into the restaurant – he gave me the middle finger (for which the hotel restaurant manager saw as well) and asked if they act like that again, he will have to remove them from the restaurant.

The last night in Koh Samui was truly eventful but to be honest the hotel staff did an excellent job in trying to deal with the situation.

Overall: I would give 5 Stars to Vana Belle Resort. As an Ambassador - they were always aware of where I went throughout the resort and constantly asked me if I needed anything. Tong was excellent in providing local knowledge/tips as well as his attention to small details (e.g. my wife liked a certain Thai bar snack and Tong packed them for us prior to our flight to HK as well as he remembered that we love cheesecake, thus he brought cheese cake and glass of white wine to our room on our last night). Its always the little things and attention to detail that makes the stay memorable for which Vana Belle certainly excelled! My one thing to point to the resort is the F&B. I think the quality of the food & beverage can be massively improved since there are two types of people (in my opinion) - 1. Who only stay at the resort or 2. Who tend to adventure outside. If you are in the first category, the F&B within the resort can be slightly underwhelming in terms of the quality/quantity.

Last edited by LDNConsultant; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:27 pm