FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any ATL based flyers who use CHA instead of ATL???
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:22 pm
resolute

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I live in Midtown ATL and several years ago when I had to build back my status on DL (new job after I had not been really flying at all after several years and had dropped back down to a nobody.) I was flying from AGS, CHA, BHM, (GSP and even CSG once or twice to build back some MQMs more rapidly) - glad those days are over and now I have plenty of rollover miles again year to year - I don't bother with that foolishness anymore!! All were nice airports because you could park and get to your gate quickly, but you did suffer the small planes (CRJs) frequently.

The funniest story I had was one time I booked out of CHA going to DFW via ATL. The CHA to ATL leg was oversold and was DLs last flight of the day. They were going to put me on an AA CRJ nonstop CHA-DFW, but I negotiated a nice VDB voucher, some miles and they actually hired me a local CHA taxi to drive me from the door of the baggage claim there to ATL and drop me off at the door of the airport. The taxi even stopped for me and the driver to get lunch in Dalton and he was like "get you a beer, sit back and relax.." We made it back down I-75 and through downtown ATL in time for me to arrive at the airport and catch my original connecting flight to DFW on DL. The driver said it happened not too infrequently and DL paid him $300 for the fare every time (he drove back to Chattanooga empty..). But that was by far my longest taxi ride ever!

Oh, and yes, I got both my MQMs and RDMs for the CHA - ATL leg - for riding in the taxi..