Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any ATL based flyers who use CHA instead of ATL???

Old Jun 25, 19, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc

Has any ATL based flyers tried flying out of CHA instead of ATL?

Negatives? Positives? How is DLs operations there?
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I often look at CHA and GSP for longer trips but 90% of the time it's not any cheaper. I do know several people who live further up I75 or I85 who alternate between one of those and ATL, but usually it's more about traffic to/from ATL than any huge price difference.

That said, both CHA and GSP are perfectly nice small airports. Cheap parking, easy in/out, quick TSA. Not too many amenities outside of the essentials but then you don't really have to spend a bunch of time there. GSP has a pretty cool outdoor area airside that is basically between two gates, so when ths weather is nice you can get a nice Jet-A fix.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: DL FO, AA Gold, Marriott LT Plat
CHA-ATL is much more CRJ-intensive than GSP-ATL, with the occasional mainline or CR9 peppered in. Not sure if 50-seaters are really your bag, even though its a short hop. GSP is currently all-mainline to ATL. both have DTW and LGA nonstops also.

IDK but personally its not worth a 30-minute flight (with no service) to me just to transit ATL, if you would be driving to ATL otherwise. Perhaps if your final destination is LGA/DTW or a market where connecting in those cities is a better option because you'd be connecting in ATL anyways (BGR, YOW, etc that don't have nonstops from ATL.)
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have extra time near GSP, there's a cool BMW museum very close to the airport. You can also do a factory tour but this must be arranged in advance. There's a test track too which customers can use, i think in the form of a driving lesson.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I often look at CHA and GSP for longer trips but 90% of the time it's not any cheaper..
CHA is my hometown, but whenever I want to fly there, it is significantly more expensive than ATL. Just bad luck on my part?
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:37 am
Formerly known as scootr29

GSP just put in a place a policy that bans people from GA and NC from using this airport.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
GSP just put in a place a policy that bans people from GA and NC from using this airport.
No kidding, they always stop me at the SC border and want to look at my license. Or is that because the speed limit drops on I-85?

The same people made that rule who made the rule that only ticketed international travelers can use check-in and security at ATL International Terminal.
gooselee and SSF556 like this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:38 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Talking

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
No kidding, they always stop me at the SC border and want to look at my license. Or is that because the speed limit drops on I-85?

The same people made that rule who made the rule that only ticketed international travelers can use check-in and security at ATL International Terminal.
Well you guys in NC and GA have your own airports, roads, beaches, and mountains etc...SC is full....
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: DL GM, Hertz 5*
I've actually flown out of CLT and CHA when airfares from ATL were too high (flying CLT/CHA-ATL-xxx). CLT was a little far, but CHA isn't bad, especially if you live in Cobb County or points further north. Depending on traffic, driving from Acworth/Kennesaw to CHA vs. ATL is really about the same.

Where you get into trouble is IRROPS - fewer flights and fewer options from CHA and GSP (and CLT too).

But on an international or multi-stop itinerary where you save lots of money, it can be worth it. I flew CHA-ATL-LGA and return in F for $250 less than ATL-LGA return in economy. A bit more driving, but it was nice to be in F while saving money (and collecting more miles). CHA is tiny and uncrowded, so you can also go from gate to car or vice versa in 10 mins or less if you have no checked bags. The long term lot is right next to the terminal and access to I-75 is super easy.
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I live in Midtown ATL and several years ago when I had to build back my status on DL (new job after I had not been really flying at all after several years and had dropped back down to a nobody.) I was flying from AGS, CHA, BHM, (GSP and even CSG once or twice to build back some MQMs more rapidly) - glad those days are over and now I have plenty of rollover miles again year to year - I don't bother with that foolishness anymore!! All were nice airports because you could park and get to your gate quickly, but you did suffer the small planes (CRJs) frequently.

The funniest story I had was one time I booked out of CHA going to DFW via ATL. The CHA to ATL leg was oversold and was DLs last flight of the day. They were going to put me on an AA CRJ nonstop CHA-DFW, but I negotiated a nice VDB voucher, some miles and they actually hired me a local CHA taxi to drive me from the door of the baggage claim there to ATL and drop me off at the door of the airport. The taxi even stopped for me and the driver to get lunch in Dalton and he was like "get you a beer, sit back and relax.." We made it back down I-75 and through downtown ATL in time for me to arrive at the airport and catch my original connecting flight to DFW on DL. The driver said it happened not too infrequently and DL paid him $300 for the fare every time (he drove back to Chattanooga empty..). But that was by far my longest taxi ride ever!

Oh, and yes, I got both my MQMs and RDMs for the CHA - ATL leg - for riding in the taxi..
sky303 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 GM back to PM
I recently drove up from Acworth/Kennesaw to CHA because I had to book closer in and it saved me $170 to connect CHA-ATL-PIT-ATL-CHA vs. ATL-PIT-ATL. There was another guy on the flight driving back down to Decatur, because it was saving him closer to $500 (he said).

Based upon the single r/t I don't want to make too many observations but their were 4 corporate travelers and 5 million milers on my flight, which seemed like a big deal for a small plane and clearly reduced chances for getting up front.
One traveler was flying with wife and kid and got surprised with the Porsche treatment upon arrival in ATL, which was fun to watch... I didn't ask if he was 360 or anything.
Example: 2 nights a week out

I have now started using the box for nearby airports in all my searches, with at least 2 weeks advance notice I've never found another flight cheaper ex CHA than ATL, not even close enough to think about it for MQMs but within 2 weeks I can see it as a reasonable option sometimes.
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, my biggest gripe as of lately is ATL everything pre walking through the metal detector. Traffic at Hartsfield, parking only getting worse (not better and the lovely days when you show up to NO parking lots available with no notice), the lack of staff at check in at DL, and pre check/clear taking more and more time is what is driving me to consider going up to CHA to avoid all of that mess.

Once you clear the metal detectors nothing is too bad at ATL but I guess those useless canopies are worth all the inconvenience that ATL is putting everyone trhough.

It looks like CHA does not have pre check though, do they do a pre check "lite" there for people with pre check?
Old Jun 27, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
Thanks all, my biggest gripe as of lately is ATL everything pre walking through the metal detector. Traffic at Hartsfield, parking only getting worse (not better and the lovely days when you show up to NO parking lots available with no notice), the lack of staff at check in at DL, and pre check/clear taking more and more time is what is driving me to consider going up to CHA to avoid all of that mess.

Once you clear the metal detectors nothing is too bad at ATL but I guess those useless canopies are worth all the inconvenience that ATL is putting everyone trhough.

It looks like CHA does not have pre check though, do they do a pre check "lite" there for people with pre check?
When I flew out of CHA back in October there was no Pre Check line in CHA but they do have Pre Lite where they hand you a card. Security took about 15 mins because itís one tiny checkpoint and there were several flights leaving at 6am.
Old Jun 27, 19, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

15 minutes with no pre check (only lite) sounds like a dream compared to ATL pre check

Search this Thread