FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:51 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Oxymore
For tips about NBO, sorry I should have been more precise, but I was thinking about the airport experience.
Did you fly KQ or EY on your first leg?
No worries! I loved NBO and had a much better time than I thought I would.

I flew AF on a separate DL award into NBO. Once there, I found a KQ counter as I flew KQ NBO-GVA-FCO and they were able to assign me seats despite my flight being 3 days away, as online and phone couldn't because it was booked as an AZ codeshare.

Stays in NBO of under 72 hours are eligible for a transit visa. They don't look at where you're transiting to or from - just length of stay. Transit visa is 20 GBP or USD or EUR, but the regular up to 90 day visa is 50 USD or 40 EUR or 30 GBP, and just as easy to do there as to do advance online (on arrival has a separate visa line that is probably the shortest of the lines)

I was able to check in online with KQ for the first leg of this ticket. Airport experience was quick - counter reprinted my BP and scanned my passport

Immigration has a separate SkyPriority line

Security has a separate business/first class line

KQ lounge was fine - not memorable food, but good drink offers and especially appreciated a quiet, dark sleeping room - I didn't see random people just walking in here as I had previously read online in reviews

My KQ flight in J had 8 of 30 J seats filled. I had the seat next to me empty. In GVA the cleaners accidentally threw my socks out despite me finding their chief before using the bathroom and telling them my stuff was still in my seat and giving my seat #. They found and returned them, but funny.

KQ catering wasn't great. I probably missed the best meal by sleeping thru it which was breakfast prior to landing in GVA.

The "meal" upon departure was tiny and bad quality - the only good thing was the soup and hot bread - so I'm glad I had dinner at my hotel. I would suggest the same for others.

KQ service was very nice - lots of attention and personalization and a happy crew. An even happier crew got on in GVA and continued to FCO and then I assume back to NBO.

What else can I answer? I wish the fare was still around, I would buy it again to try a different set of carriers and go back to NBO

As a Delta Diamond I earned about 27K MQMs and just over 33K RDMs. I still have 1 short domestic segment to fly (~500 miles flown) which I moved to the end of the year, and will use it or change it prior to ticket expiration date

The AZ operated FCO-LAX posted 3 days after flight. The KQ flight didn't post 7 days after, but I sent a photo of my boarding pass to DL via Twitter and it was posted within 24 hours after that.