FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booked two stop flight, can I standby for one stop?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:39 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
No, status doesn't matter for standby (other than putting you higher on the list). You can only standby for the exact same routing because UA does not want to strand you at an intermediate point.
While you're correct about the policy, in this particular case, it wouldn't surprise me if UA would grant an exception to a 1K. There's no chance of being stranded at an intermediate point since you're just eliminating one stop. It's certainly worth asking about at the airport; the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I had that very issue yesterday. I was flying from SFO-LAS-LAX and wanted to standby to SFO-LAX. The gate agent couldn’t put me on standby without repricing the ticket. I checked the app and did an SDC to a later SFO-LAX flight. Now that I was on a nonstop itinerary, she could work her magic and put me on standby where I cleared into first.
You likely had a fare break at LAS (almost certain, unless this was an award ticket). If the OP also has a fare break at the first connection point, standby probably won't work. There's no way to know with 100% certainty, but there are some good ways to guess; connecting through a non-hub city is one.