Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked two stop flight, can I standby for one stop?

Old Jun 26, 19, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I have a domestic flight that is from city A to B to C to D. Can I standby for a flight from city A to C?
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
I have a domestic flight that is from city A to B to C to D. Can I standby for a flight from city A to C?
Typically yes SDC will potentially offer options, but depending on if you have status (and at what level) there may be a charge.

ETA: And just to qualify you want to go to A-C and still end up in D, correct?

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Jun 26, 19 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:21 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
No, standby does not allow routing changes. One could SDC, which would exchange your ticket for new routing
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Any more leeway on routing change for standby (my focus, not SDC) as a 1K?
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
Any more leeway on routing change for standby (my focus, not SDC) as a 1K?
No, status doesn't matter for standby (other than putting you higher on the list). You can only standby for the exact same routing because UA does not want to strand you at an intermediate point.

Your option is SDC which requires same fare class availability. 1K get SDC for free. Plus this is a confirmed option so assuming the flights are open in the fare class you want you can SDC to a one-stop itinerary and get confirmed on all segments.

-RM
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Timely question

I had that very issue yesterday. I was flying from SFO-LAS-LAX and wanted to standby to SFO-LAX. The gate agent couldnít put me on standby without repricing the ticket. I checked the app and did an SDC to a later SFO-LAX flight. Now that I was on a nonstop itinerary, she could work her magic and put me on standby where I cleared into first.
Syzygies and sinoflyer like this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
No, status doesn't matter for standby (other than putting you higher on the list). You can only standby for the exact same routing because UA does not want to strand you at an intermediate point.
While you're correct about the policy, in this particular case, it wouldn't surprise me if UA would grant an exception to a 1K. There's no chance of being stranded at an intermediate point since you're just eliminating one stop. It's certainly worth asking about at the airport; the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
I had that very issue yesterday. I was flying from SFO-LAS-LAX and wanted to standby to SFO-LAX. The gate agent couldn’t put me on standby without repricing the ticket. I checked the app and did an SDC to a later SFO-LAX flight. Now that I was on a nonstop itinerary, she could work her magic and put me on standby where I cleared into first.
You likely had a fare break at LAS (almost certain, unless this was an award ticket). If the OP also has a fare break at the first connection point, standby probably won't work. There's no way to know with 100% certainty, but there are some good ways to guess; connecting through a non-hub city is one.
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The above poster is correct. Keep checking the app before checking in to see if SDC lets you move to a 1-stop itinerary.
Also, since your issue is more complicated, also look at the fare classes open on 1-stop itineraries. If you booked G, and G >0 on your new routing
you can call it in.
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
I had that very issue yesterday. I was flying from SFO-LAS-LAX and wanted to standby to SFO-LAX. The gate agent couldnít put me on standby without repricing the ticket. I checked the app and did an SDC to a later SFO-LAX flight. Now that I was on a nonstop itinerary, she could work her magic and put me on standby where I cleared into first.
hnm don't they process all upgrades before standby?
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
While you're correct about the policy, in this particular case, it wouldn't surprise me if UA would grant an exception to a 1K. There's no chance of being stranded at an intermediate point since you're just eliminating one stop. It's certainly worth asking about at the airport; the worst that can happen is that they say no.
OP specifically said two stop to one stop. I guess in this specific situation, OP wanted to simply skip B, and could just continue on their regularly scheduled flight from C-D in worst case, but whatís the point in that (unless OP just wanted extra time in C on their way to D). However, I doubt this is a common situation, and rules are made for the more common situation where someone wants to say, connect in a different hub to get somewhere earlier, and could get stuck. Based on ones ticket, UA would theoretically be responsible for delivering the pax to the final destination.

Theoretically, at the airport, an agent could do it, but itís probably going to be tough to find one that will, is my guess.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: