FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:52 pm
beefninja

Originally Posted by scwam
It's all relative to each person. 14x points in my own value equates to about 3.5% - 5% return on that card. Others will crazily say 15%. IMHO, Hilton points are realistically valued atm between $0.0025 to a max of $0.0035 (the higher being in most cases what you would normally agree to the value of what you think the room is really worth in cash). Blogs like to push this 3 to 4x more than what I perceive for dramatic intent. For me 1/2 cent value per point has been out the window since 2017. There is a better bet IMO, in getting comped drinks/dishes/upgrades/taxi rides based on loyalty in these cases, particularly with properties under update or trying to make a name for themselves due to whatever changes or inadequacies they've recently had.
Agreed. I'd also say that the relativity is part of what makes it fun for each person.

Most blogs seem to put Hilton points at around 0.5cpp value. On most Hilton Hotels that I would otherwise pay cash for, I seem to be able to normally get about 0.3-0.4cpp. However, in Bora Bora or in the Maldives, you can get values more like 1.2-1.8cpp. While I wouldn't pay full cash for that, I would in some cases (and have, in some instances... like when I have filled in some missing days in Bora Bora using cash combined with some offers timed with using Ebates for some significant Cashback/AmexMR) pay like 50-80% of the cash rate in some of these locations. So while I wouldn't say I'm getting the full raw redemption value of 1.2-1.8cpp, I'm still getting way more than the 0.3-0.4cpp that I would on some other redemptions.