FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Insurance Help Needed- AMEX Premium Plus WHAT?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:45 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pizzaparty
I don’t rent cars very often so would like some input

We’re renting a car in Florida for 7 days however, I’m overwhelmed by the options. My original thoughts were to buy American Express Premium Car Rental Protection ($19.95 or $24.95). That only covers the actual rental car. I have AAA insurance and carry both full coverage and liability. Speaking to them, it appears that if I was at fault, the AMEX insurance would deal with the rental car and my AAA insurance would cover the other vehicle and be the primary for medical for both. My understanding is that my spouse would be covered exactly the same as long as she is listed on the rental agreement as well. Does this all sound correct?

Also, I have numerous cards with benefits and I’m trying to figure out what my best route would be. I would love any input as to what you would do and why. I simply don’t look at the rental stuff often on my cards. Thanks in advance!

Cards I have:
  • Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select
  • Citi Thank You Preferred
  • AMEX- Blue Cash Everyday
  • Capital One World
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited
  • Wells Fargo Cash Wise
  • Barclay Cashforward
  • Barclay Ring
  • Capital One Quicksilver
  • Bank of America- BankAmericard (I also have a few other pretty standard cards)
  • Chase (Slate, Disney, Amazon, AARP)
Does your personal auto insurance provide coverage for loss of, or damage to, a rental car? If it does not, then you don't need to pay for Amex's Premium coverage, as any card that provides free, secondary coverage will be primary coverage for you if you have no other insurance that covers rental car loss/damage.

If your personal coverage does cover rental-car loss/damage, then the Amex (primary) Premium coverage would enable you to avoid filing a claim with your personal insurer in the event of rental car loss/damage (assuming that there was no injury to anyone, and no damage to anyone else's property).