Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rental Insurance Help Needed- AMEX Premium Plus WHAT?

Rental Insurance Help Needed- AMEX Premium Plus WHAT?

Old Jun 24, 19, 8:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Rental Insurance Help Needed- AMEX Premium Plus WHAT?

I don’t rent cars very often so would like some input

We’re renting a car in Florida for 7 days however, I’m overwhelmed by the options. My original thoughts were to buy American Express Premium Car Rental Protection ($19.95 or $24.95). That only covers the actual rental car. I have AAA insurance and carry both full coverage and liability. Speaking to them, it appears that if I was at fault, the AMEX insurance would deal with the rental car and my AAA insurance would cover the other vehicle and be the primary for medical for both. My understanding is that my spouse would be covered exactly the same as long as she is listed on the rental agreement as well. Does this all sound correct?

Also, I have numerous cards with benefits and I’m trying to figure out what my best route would be. I would love any input as to what you would do and why. I simply don’t look at the rental stuff often on my cards. Thanks in advance!

Cards I have:
  • Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select
  • Citi Thank You Preferred
  • AMEX- Blue Cash Everyday
  • Capital One World
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited
  • Wells Fargo Cash Wise
  • Barclay Cashforward
  • Barclay Ring
  • Capital One Quicksilver
  • Bank of America- BankAmericard (I also have a few other pretty standard cards)
  • Chase (Slate, Disney, Amazon, AARP)
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:45 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
I dont rent cars very often so would like some input

Were renting a car in Florida for 7 days however, Im overwhelmed by the options. My original thoughts were to buy American Express Premium Car Rental Protection ($19.95 or $24.95). That only covers the actual rental car. I have AAA insurance and carry both full coverage and liability. Speaking to them, it appears that if I was at fault, the AMEX insurance would deal with the rental car and my AAA insurance would cover the other vehicle and be the primary for medical for both. My understanding is that my spouse would be covered exactly the same as long as she is listed on the rental agreement as well. Does this all sound correct?

Also, I have numerous cards with benefits and Im trying to figure out what my best route would be. I would love any input as to what you would do and why. I simply dont look at the rental stuff often on my cards. Thanks in advance!

Cards I have:
  • Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select
  • Citi Thank You Preferred
  • AMEX- Blue Cash Everyday
  • Capital One World
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited
  • Wells Fargo Cash Wise
  • Barclay Cashforward
  • Barclay Ring
  • Capital One Quicksilver
  • Bank of America- BankAmericard (I also have a few other pretty standard cards)
  • Chase (Slate, Disney, Amazon, AARP)
Does your personal auto insurance provide coverage for loss of, or damage to, a rental car? If it does not, then you don't need to pay for Amex's Premium coverage, as any card that provides free, secondary coverage will be primary coverage for you if you have no other insurance that covers rental car loss/damage.

If your personal coverage does cover rental-car loss/damage, then the Amex (primary) Premium coverage would enable you to avoid filing a claim with your personal insurer in the event of rental car loss/damage (assuming that there was no injury to anyone, and no damage to anyone else's property).
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:53 pm
  #3  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,677
Your understanding is correct. You are welcome to purchase Amex PCRP, and if you (or your wife) have an accident it will avoid you having to file a claim against your personal AAA insurance policy (and potentially pay a deductible), but it's not actually necessary since it sounds like AAA has you well covered from both a collision and a liability perspective.

You may want to review this article from our blog to educate yourself about car rental insurance. You can also set up a tracking request for your rental to make sure you don't end up overpaying.

Lastly, Citibank is dropping car rental protection as of 9/22/19, so if your rental isn't before that, avoid the Citi cards. I don't think any of the cards you listed offer primary rental protection (except Amex with PCRP). It's worth a call to the number on the back of your card to ensure that they do offer at least secondary coverage if you don't take PCRP with Amex.
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:58 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Also, since you appear to be an AARP member (Chase AARP credit card), be sure to price your rental with Avis and Budget using the AARP rental codes, along with any applicable coupon offers (check the "Deals" or "Offers" page at avis.com and at budget.com).

Using the AARP code at participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S. gets you certain benefits, like primary 25/50/10 third-party liability coverage, and a cap of $5,000 for rental car loss/damage. It also gives you one free additional driver, and a one-class upgrade (subject to availability).
AutoSlash likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:18 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Does your personal auto insurance provide coverage for loss of, or damage to, a rental car? If it does not, then you don't need to pay for Amex's Premium coverage, as any card that provides free, secondary coverage will be primary coverage for you if you have no other insurance that covers rental car loss/damage.

If your personal coverage does cover rental-car loss/damage, then the Amex (primary) Premium coverage would enable you to avoid filing a claim with your personal insurer in the event of rental car loss/damage (assuming that there was no injury to anyone, and no damage to anyone else's property).
I will check with my insurance tomorrow. Since I don't rent often, I worry that I'm overlooking something. What if they rent me a car that is worth $40k, it gets totaled and the car I have personal insurance on is worth $15k?

What if I'm at fault? Mine personal insurance would cover the OTHER driver, correct?

Sounds like I need to find out about the "coverage for loss of, or damage to, a rental car?" to know more, correct?

Thanks for the help and quick reply!

Last edited by pizzaparty; Jun 24, 19 at 9:25 pm
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:26 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
I will check with my insurance tomorrow. Since I don't rent often, I worry that I'm overlooking something. What if they rent me a car that is worth $40k, it gets totaled and the car I have personal insurance on is worth $15k?

Thanks for the help and quick reply!
It all depends on what your policy says. Of course, if you rent from Avis or Budget with the AARP code at a participating location, your liability for loss of or damage to the rental car -- even a $40,000 rental car -- would be limited to just $5,000. See, for example:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/partn...embers-save-30

(Click on the "Benefits" link to see the coverage details.)
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:31 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Your understanding is correct. You are welcome to purchase Amex PCRP, and if you (or your wife) have an accident it will avoid you having to file a claim against your personal AAA insurance policy (and potentially pay a deductible), but it's not actually necessary since it sounds like AAA has you well covered from both a collision and a liability perspective.

You may want to review to educate yourself about car rental insurance. You can also set up a tracking request for your rental to make sure you don't end up overpaying.

Lastly, Citibank is dropping car rental protection as of 9/22/19, so if your rental isn't before that, avoid the Citi cards. I don't think any of the cards you listed offer primary rental protection (except Amex with PCRP). It's worth a call to the number on the back of your card to ensure that they do offer at least secondary coverage if you don't take PCRP with Amex.
Honestly, if I could pay $25 and not have to worry about messing with my insurance, it's worth that to me. From a standpoint of the other driver should I be at fault, that's what I want to make sure I understand correctly but seems to be where I have the most confusion

My booking it from Autoslash.

I did see the stuff about Citi but my reservation is in July so trying to figure out what card makes the most sense to use.
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:33 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Also, since you appear to be an AARP member (Chase AARP credit card), be sure to price your rental with Avis and Budget using the AARP rental codes, along with any applicable coupon offers (check the "Deals" or "Offers" page at avis.com and at budget.com).

Using the AARP code at participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S. gets you certain benefits, like primary 25/50/10 third-party liability coverage, and a cap of $5,000 for rental car loss/damage. It also gives you one free additional driver, and a one-class upgrade (subject to availability).
I have the Chase AARP but not a member nor am old enough so not sure of all the technicalities there so hesitant
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:36 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
Honestly, if I could pay $25 and not have to worry about messing with my insurance, it's worth that to me. From a standpoint of the other driver should I be at fault, that's what I want to make sure I understand correctly but seems to be where I have the most confusion

My booking it from Autoslash.

I did see the stuff about Citi but my reservation is in July so trying to figure out what card makes the most sense to use.
You only need to pay $25 to avoid dealing with your insurance if your insurance, in fact, would cover you for rental car loss/damage. That's what you'll find out tomorrow.

And, of course, if you get into a fender-bender involving another car, you're going to have to deal with your insurance anyway, unless you book with a rate that includes primary liability insurance that covers the amount of damage/injury you cause.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:42 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
I have the Chase AARP but not a member nor am old enough so not sure of all the technicalities there so hesitant
A person of any age -- even one under 50 -- can join AARP as an "Associate" member for, I think, $16/year by calling AARP. You can check the AARP rates with Avis/Budget first to decide whether it makes sense to pay the $16. (Avis AWD A359800; Budget BCD Y508501. But don't book a car with those codes unless you actually join AARP; if you have an accident and can't show proof of membership, I would not expect Avis/Budget to honor any of the insurance benefits. And some locations will ask to see your AARP membership card at pick up.)
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:54 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
A person of any age -- even one under 50 -- can join AARP as an "Associate" member for, I think, $16/year by calling AARP. You can check the AARP rates with Avis/Budget first to decide whether it makes sense to pay the $16. (Avis AWD A359800; Budget BCD Y508501. But don't book a car with those codes unless you actually join AARP; if you have an accident and can't show proof of membership, I would not expect Avis/Budget to honor any of the insurance benefits. And some locations will ask to see your AARP membership card at pick up.)
I have a pretty solid deal that I got through Autoslash and I don't really see it going lower than where I'm at (the current AARP rate would be $200+ more than my current) so I probably won't go that route but I do appreciate the idea

I just don't rent often and want to protect myself. I'll update when I hear from my insurer and let you you. Thanks again for everyone's help!
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:57 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Sorry for the delay. It wouldn't let me reply for 24 hours with a new account.

I spoke with an agent and I have full coverage on some vehicles and liability on others but the full coverage would apply. I must make sure I decline the insurance though. At that point, I’d be subject to my deductibles, etc…So my thought is to buy the AMEX premium for $24.95 to avoid any hassle with having any issues with the rental car. And should I have an at fault issue, my insurance should cover the other vehicle and simply not the rental which would be handled by AMEX…

Sound correct?
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:13 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
Sorry for the delay. It wouldn't let me reply for 24 hours with a new account.

I spoke with an agent and I have full coverage on some vehicles and liability on others but the full coverage would apply. I must make sure I decline the insurance though. At that point, Id be subject to my deductibles, etcSo my thought is to buy the AMEX premium for $24.95 to avoid any hassle with having any issues with the rental car. And should I have an at fault issue, my insurance should cover the other vehicle and simply not the rental which would be handled by AMEX

Sound correct?
If you are covered by your personal auto insurance policy for loss of or damage to the particular car you plan to rent (subject to your policy's deductible), and if you charge the rental to a credit card that offers free, "secondary" LDW coverage, your credit card would pick up the deductible portion of your personal insurance, were you to get into an accident with the rental car.

If you opt to purchase the Amex Premium coverage, then you would only have to deal with your personal insurance in the event that you caused injury to a third party, or damage to a third party's property.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:51 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
If you are covered by your personal auto insurance policy for loss of or damage to the particular car you plan to rent (subject to your policy's deductible), and if you charge the rental to a credit card that offers free, "secondary" LDW coverage, your credit card would pick up the deductible portion of your personal insurance, were you to get into an accident with the rental car.

If you opt to purchase the Amex Premium coverage, then you would only have to deal with your personal insurance in the event that you caused injury to a third party, or damage to a third party's property.
So really, it comes down to...is it worth $19.95/$24.95 to not have to deal with my insurance company & credit card providing secondary coverage on the rental car. Correct? Either way, if there is an at fault and I cause damage to the other car, I have to deal with my personal insurance regardless, correct?
pizzaparty is offline  
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:00 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,579
Originally Posted by pizzaparty View Post
So really, it comes down to...is it worth $19.95/$24.95 to not have to deal with my insurance company & credit card providing secondary coverage on the rental car. Correct? Either way, if there is an at fault and I cause damage to the other car, I have to deal with my personal insurance regardless, correct?
Even if you purchase the Amex Premium coverage, you would still have to deal with Amex's insurer -- and furnish them with all the required information -- in the event you had to make a claim because of rental-car loss/damage. Paying for the Amex Premium coverage does not exempt you from the claims process; it simply provides you with primary -- rather than secondary -- coverage.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
guv1976 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread