FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : How long for points to post ? / Points not posting
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:30 pm
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by acrophobia
This must be highly variable by property. I’ve had to get my Ambassador to intervene at the 11 day mark to get at least a half dozen stays to post over the last few months, including some $$$$ stays. The Park Central in SF that seems to be a serial offender.
This is just a guess because I never worked at a Marriott property. But, where I did work, frequent guest points weren't awarded until the night audit was audited.

As most people know, every hotel runs a daily procedure to compile the transactions of the day and verify them for accuracy. Although it's called the Night Audit, some hotels actually have a Front Desk representative run the procedure but wait and do the audit part during the day. (It can be difficult to find someone with an aptitude for numbers to work third shift.)

Any hotel that follows standard accounting practices will then have someone audit the night audit to ensure everything is correct. I did that job for about a year under the title of Income Auditor. I verified the figures before entering them into the general ledger. In my hotel, I was the person that signed off on frequent guest points before electronically sending the report to the corporate office to handle distributing those points.

That process of auditing the night audit does not need to be the same day (except at the end of an accounting period). For example, I didn't work weekends in that position. On Monday, I'd audit Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's audit. Smaller hotels are far less likely to have a dedicated Income Auditor. It would be crazy for a small hotel to have the Accounting Manager wait and do a week's worth of audits at once.

That's my guess as to why some hotels are quicker than others in terms of awarding points. But, it's also possible that some hotels are just not doing what is required.