FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking CDG-SFO Award Travel with Overnight Connection at JFK
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:20 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
Searched, but could not find a thread that addresses my specific objective:

I want to book a CDG-SFO itinerary using miles with a single award. I would like to fly CDG-JFK, stop at JFK for less than 24 hours (specifically to stay a night at the new TWA hotel), and then continue on JFK-SFO. (I want to do this so much that I am willing to use an AAnytime Award to do it.)

Using aa.com, in 4 pages of AA-only CDG-SFO flights, there is only one set of flights that offers an overnight at JFK. Unfortunately, the JFK-SFO departure is 7 AM. I want the departure to be later (while understanding that it must be within 24 hrs of the CDG-JFK arrival if I want to do it with a single award).

Question: Should I be able to book the offered flights, then (based on using an AAnytime Award), do an online change of the JFK-SFO leg to another flight (within the 24 hr window) at no charge? (I am only Gold.)

Note: I tried using Multi-City to book the desired flights, but it wanted to price each leg separately.

Or are there other approaches I should consider for achieving my desired overnight at JFK while returning from CDG to SFO on a single award?

Thanks.
Use the multi-city booking engine to put your desired flights on a free, five-day hold, and note your record locator; then, call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award. Finally, go back to your held itinerary at aa.com, verify that it is now pricing correctly, and go ahead and purchase the award on line with no telephone-booking fee.