Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking CDG-SFO Award Travel with Overnight Connection at JFK

Old Jun 20, 19, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Hertz PC

Searched, but could not find a thread that addresses my specific objective:

I want to book a CDG-SFO itinerary using miles with a single award. I would like to fly CDG-JFK, stop at JFK for less than 24 hours (specifically to stay a night at the new TWA hotel), and then continue on JFK-SFO. (I want to do this so much that I am willing to use an AAnytime Award to do it.)

Using aa.com, in 4 pages of AA-only CDG-SFO flights, there is only one set of flights that offers an overnight at JFK. Unfortunately, the JFK-SFO departure is 7 AM. I want the departure to be later (while understanding that it must be within 24 hrs of the CDG-JFK arrival if I want to do it with a single award).

Question: Should I be able to book the offered flights, then (based on using an AAnytime Award), do an online change of the JFK-SFO leg to another flight (within the 24 hr window) at no charge? (I am only Gold.)

Note: I tried using Multi-City to book the desired flights, but it wanted to price each leg separately.

Or are there other approaches I should consider for achieving my desired overnight at JFK while returning from CDG to SFO on a single award?

Thanks.

Last edited by jmd001; Jun 20, 19 at 7:10 pm Reason: Fix format and typo
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001 View Post
Searched, but could not find a thread that addresses my specific objective:

I want to book a CDG-SFO itinerary using miles with a single award. I would like to fly CDG-JFK, stop at JFK for less than 24 hours (specifically to stay a night at the new TWA hotel), and then continue on JFK-SFO. (I want to do this so much that I am willing to use an AAnytime Award to do it.)

Using aa.com, in 4 pages of AA-only CDG-SFO flights, there is only one set of flights that offers an overnight at JFK. Unfortunately, the JFK-SFO departure is 7 AM. I want the departure to be later (while understanding that it must be within 24 hrs of the CDG-JFK arrival if I want to do it with a single award).

Question: Should I be able to book the offered flights, then (based on using an AAnytime Award), do an online change of the JFK-SFO leg to another flight (within the 24 hr window) at no charge? (I am only Gold.)

Note: I tried using Multi-City to book the desired flights, but it wanted to price each leg separately.

Or are there other approaches I should consider for achieving my desired overnight at JFK while returning from CDG to SFO on a single award?

Thanks.
Use the multi-city booking engine to put your desired flights on a free, five-day hold, and note your record locator; then, call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award. Finally, go back to your held itinerary at aa.com, verify that it is now pricing correctly, and go ahead and purchase the award on line with no telephone-booking fee.
DCJoe1, arollins and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage (peon)
The call-to-reprice has historically been the appropriate answer, but now agents are told to check on end-to-end availability to account for married segment availability. This is a non-issue if multiple seats are available, but if you put a hold on the one seat that available couldn’t you end up shooting yourself in the foot (since agent might check current availability)?
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Since OP is booking this as an AAnytime award there shouldn't be any issues with married segments or last award seat availabitly, or anything else.

Rather than using multi-city, I would go to aa.com and put the one option with the overnight on hold (with the 7am JFK-SFO). That way there is no question what the correct award price should be. Then call AA, and ask the agent to switch the JFK-SFO segment to whatever later option works the best.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Rather than using multi-city, I would go to aa.com and put the one option with the overnight on hold. ... Then call AA, and ask the agent to switch the JFK-SFO segment to whatever later option works the best.
This is what I did, and it was successful (as it should have been). Thanks for the advice.

Based on the amount of time the agent was taking, I became a bit concerned. But eventually (actually only ~9 minutes, but seemed much longer), he successfully completed the change ... at the same miles and without any fees (as expected).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: