FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My best trip to Europe ever!
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:46 pm
Wiggums

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nequine
Wow, you didn't have squeeze a lot of stuff into a short time!

During the summer, where I am in Scotland, its daylight by 4am (earlier further north) and its still light when I head to my bed around 10.30pm. It more than makes up for the dark shorter days we get in winter!
Yes, I kind of rounded it off to 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. to factor in Scotland and Italy. It was weird for me, a native southern Californian! Honestly, I didn't feel like I was squeezing a lot of stuff, I made sure all the stops were on the way to the next and eating was mostly done in the car. I'd grab food from gas stations too.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice, but sounds stressful! Only one small failure: Mona Lisa wasn´t painted by Michelangelo
Ah, Leonardo da Vinci. My bad! Thank you very much for pointing that out!

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Spending 3000 US$ for a three week vacation and flying home in LH F, now that's a first on FT!
I used miles for that Lufthansa trip so it didn't cost me too much. I was tired of the 747 so I had to move things around just to get that A380! Not regretting it at all!

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
You are the same type of traveler as I am, although I do appreciate the finer hotels. I like to hit the spots I want to see and move on quickly. Well done.
I'd have to pay more for parking and internet at the finer hotels. The finer it is, the more nickel and diming. Reviews were also important, I've stayed in bad four stars. Priceline isn't the bargain hunter's paradise it used to be. I still miss Priceline's Name Your Own Price!

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Thanks for bringing Baarle-Hertog to my attention - that's exactly my kind of strange thing to check out! I've never visited an exclave, so it'd be fun to go to this even crazier nested arrangement. Last winter I made it to the drielandenpunt where Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany meet - once upon a time this was a quadruple point but sadly Neutral Moresnet is no more...
I meant to visit that but it was a little off! And, thanks to you, I learned more about Moresnet. I don't think there is any place in Europe where four boundaries meet so that would have to be the last one. Borders fascinate me, dunno why.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR - so this was from summer 2017?
very amazing with the driving. I’m impressed
i also got hit by a speed camera in Italy in 2013, but fortunately only 1 ticket!
Only one?!?! How, I was there for four days and got 13. None for speeding though, all were for ZTL, but would like to add that I drove all over Italy!