FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Selling Postcards at Airline Collectible Conventions
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:30 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingmad
Thank you for yet another wonderful trip report Seat2A, it was a delight to read. Thank you also for the memories, I loved the first photo of the Air New Zealand DC8 First Class service. My first international flight in 1972 was on a TE DC8 Sydney - Christchurch. It was very exciting for a 9 year old and an extra bonus, I was allowed to hand out sweets prior to landing! Warmest regards from Sydney.
Thank you, flyingmad ^ Air New Zealand was always one of my favorite airlines - even before I first ever flew with them. The first time I saw a picture of Air New Zealand's DC-8 was in a Four Winds Travel brochure covering South Pacific vacations. I loved the livery and the description of taking the early evening flight from Los Angeles to Tahiti. That would've been about 1970 when I was a schoolboy mailing off for all kinds of brochures, pictures and postcards. Eleven years later, I logged my first flight with Air New Zealand, in First Class aboard a DC-10 between Los Angeles and Tahiti. That flight was everything I'd hoped it would be - from the huge lambswool covered seats to the amazing dinner service. It remains one of my all-time favorite First Class flights.

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Seat 2A another great trip report. Don't ever wonder about an audience for your written trip reports. I too am an old timer and remember the "Good Old Days". My first international F was on American from DFW to Gatwick. in the mid 80's. They served cavier, Coquilles Saint-Jacques, and had a chef's special. It was truly amazing. There are many good things about international F today including the lie flat beds. But, for me, the graciousness and civility is long gone. I look forward to your TR on your 2017 trip to Australia. We are planning on returning there in 2021.
Thanks for the memories, jmj9905 ^ It's hard to believe that once upon a time American offered a world class First Class service. As for that TR, it'll likely be a few months before I can get around to completing it. I'll try to get a bit at a time.

Originally Posted by pjs
Always a pleasure to read. I don't eat olives either, but my wife is the beneficiary of this every time we travel together. By the way, I believe the CCR boardroom chairs are from the actual Concorde.
Thanks, pjs ^. I shudder to think of how much money worth of olives I've discarded over the years. I'll have to try out those CCR boardroom chairs next time I get to fly First with BA. I never flew aboard BA's Concorde, only Air France's, but I did get to check out the seats aboard BA's bird when it was doing a U.S. tour back in 1978 and we were allowed to do a walk through. Those old fuschia colored seats were quite comfortable.

More to come this evening...