FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not collecting checked luggage on arrival for a couple of hours?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:04 am
vfw614

Originally Posted by pinniped
It sounds like something I might try with my old backpack and nothing of serious value inside.

I'm guessing the odds that someone steals the bag are low. But that would be in the back of my mind during the hours I spent away from the bag, knowing it's probably just sitting there in the baggage hall. After a while, someone will toss it in a pile with other unclaimed bags but won't necessarily guard it closely. (I know I've shown up very late for whatever reason and just wandered into a pile of bags to find mine.)

Is the 4-hour check-in rule a hard rule? I've mainly found that rule in place in airports where the counter is only open certain hours or my airline's flights are worked by contractors or another airline's agents. I've walked into large busy airports many hours in advance and checked bags with airlines that have larger all-day operations. Did it in Boston last week about 5 1/2 hours prior to a Delta flight.
4 hours is what the AC website says. Given the fact that we are talking about YQB, I doubt that some customer-oriented, practical solutions are entertained - based on FT, YQB appears to be the most horrible Canadian Airport when it comes to customer service by staff.

I take from the comments that domestic baggage reclaim at YQB or at Canadian airports in general is a public area? My idea was based on the hope that it was not.