Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not collecting checked luggage on arrival for a couple of hours?

Not collecting checked luggage on arrival for a couple of hours?

Old Jun 13, 19, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by alangore View Post
Nothing is more tempting to a thief than seeing one lonely bag orbiting on a luggage carousel.
What is your expertise in the matter? Do tell!
:-)
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
What I will try to do is to ask AC to "connect" my luggage at YUL instead of flying it back and forth to//from YQB. Flights are YHZ-YUL-YQB in the morning and YQB-YUL-BRU in the late afternoon.
What I would do is when you check in at YHZ, have printouts of both of your itineraries and ask the agent to through check your bag to BRU. Have the plan B of the rental car, but it never hurts to ask. If it's all AC, there is a good chance they will check to the final destination.
Old Jun 14, 19, 3:11 am

During YVR-LAX-ICN a couple years ago (AC to OZ), YVR priority checkin was unable to check my bag through LAX for my connecting flight (same PNR and ticket) because the arrival came in around 11am and the connection was just past midnight. I wanted to spend the day touring LA but of course LAX has no airport storage facilities short of getting a rental car.

An SE sitting next to me gave me some good advice: ask AC's LAX baggage services for help. I collected my bag, went to their office by the carousel, and innocently asked what I could do with my bag until my flight. Sure enough, it worked. They were proactively apologetic about AC being unable to connect it for me and let me leave it inside their office. Didn't have to leave it on the carousel or sitting on the floor; it was inside their office which is either manned or locked. Obviously not 100% secure but was a fairly reasonable solution for me.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I have done this in a few places without any problem whatsoever. Not at YQB though. Most recently at both DEN and RNO when I was arriving a few hours before my partner and I wanted to go get dinner before coming back to pick her up. At DEN, my bag was with several others behind a sign for DL baggage. At RNO, I had to ask at the little office and show my ID, no questioning, no disapproving looks just wheeled my bag over to me and I was on my way.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
What I would do is when you check in at YHZ , have printouts of both of your itineraries and ask the agent to through check your bag to BRU. Have the plan B of the rental car, but it never hurts to ask. If it's all AC, there is a good chance they will check to the final destination.
So to give feedack how it worked out: I discussed the issue at YUL airport (the stopover airport for the luggage) with the Priority Check-In desk and they said it would be no problem at all having luggage through-checked. When the day came and I showed up at check-in at YHZ (the departure airport for the luggage) , totally different story. The CSA said it would be impossible because they could not link the two tickets in a way that the luggage would only travel portions of each ticketed itinerary. I discussed the issue with the CSA agent for a while and also mentioned the conflicting information I had received at YUL, but she was unimpressed and not really motivated to accommodate my request. As I had the rental car back-up anyway, I gave up at some point and let her have her will.

I did not try to rid myself off the suitacse upon arrival at YQB either at the check-in in departures or at luggage services in the arrivals hall, so I cannot give information on the chances of such an approach.

In general, I was surprised how small YQB was as I had expected it to be somewhat larger. Having been there now, I understand why there are no left-luggage facilities, no MLL etc. at the airport. But a nice, rather relaxed airport. Although I found he fireplace in the lounge somewhat irritating, given the time of the year and the outside temperatures....

Thanks again to all who offered help in this thread.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: none
Sorry to hear that you had to use plan B, though I'm glad that you were prepared for it.

And thanks for sharing how things worked out in the end. It can be a little demoralizing for FTer's to offer advice and suggestions but never find out the results. It means a lot that you reported back. Kudos.
Old Jun 25, 19, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
With a little more effort, you could have short-checked the bag to YUL, picked it up there, then immediately rechecked it for the latter component of the second itinerary.

Assuming a willing and competent agent, of course.

I've done each half of that (short check and check for the latter component of an itinerary I haven't started flying yet), but never together.
Old Jun 25, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I fel that it was not worth the risk as any delay of the first flight would have resulted in me struggling to make the connection at YUL, given that I had to collect my luggage, go to departures land-side and clear security again (all on an economy ticket without priority servies).
Plumber and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 25, 19, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
@vfw614 thank you for taking the time to tell us how things worked out.

Safe travels.
Old Jun 25, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi!
I know @vfw614 managed to figure the problem out, but I will still reply in case someone runs into a similar problem at YQB.

I live in the YQB area and the airport is quite small and has minimal service :
  • No bag check
  • No city-bus service (supposed to add new service in spring 2019... still waiting..)
  • Only way out of the airport are : Taxi, Uber, Car Rental, Hitchhiking or just walk the entire day
So as you need a Cab/Uber anyway to get out of airport, your best and cheapest option to go sightseeing is to take a Cab/Uber to the Ste-Foy Bus Station, check your bag there in a paid locker, and take citybus 800 or 801 from there to downtown.

Hoping this can help and hoping YQB gets better over the years...
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by thep4tr0lm4n View Post
Hi!
I know @vfw614 managed to figure the problem out, but I will still reply in case someone runs into a similar problem at YQB.

I live in the YQB area and the airport is quite small and has minimal service :
  • No bag check
  • No city-bus service (supposed to add new service in spring 2019... still waiting..)
  • Only way out of the airport are : Taxi, Uber, Car Rental, Hitchhiking or just walk the entire day
So as you need a Cab/Uber anyway to get out of airport, your best and cheapest option to go sightseeing is to take a Cab/Uber to the Ste-Foy Bus Station, check your bag there in a paid locker, and take citybus 800 or 801 from there to downtown.

Hoping this can help and hoping YQB gets better over the years...
Not quite. Bus service to YQB actually began on June 15. RTC Route 76 now links YQB with the Ste-Foy bus and train stations. Beginning August 17th, route 80 will link YQB with downtown Quebec City.
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
So to give feedack how it worked out: I discussed the issue at YUL airport (the stopover airport for the luggage) with the Priority Check-In desk and they said it would be no problem at all having luggage through-checked. When the day came and I showed up at check-in at YHZ (the departure airport for the luggage) , totally different story. The CSA said it would be impossible because they could not link the two tickets in a way that the luggage would only travel portions of each ticketed itinerary. I discussed the issue with the CSA agent for a while and also mentioned the conflicting information I had received at YUL, but she was unimpressed and not really motivated to accommodate my request. As I had the rental car back-up anyway, I gave up at some point and let her have her will.

I did not try to rid myself off the suitacse upon arrival at YQB either at the check-in in departures or at luggage services in the arrivals hall, so I cannot give information on the chances of such an approach.

In general, I was surprised how small YQB was as I had expected it to be somewhat larger. Having been there now, I understand why there are no left-luggage facilities, no MLL etc. at the airport. But a nice, rather relaxed airport. Although I found he fireplace in the lounge somewhat irritating, given the time of the year and the outside temperatures....

Thanks again to all who offered help in this thread.
I had to go back and check what your request was, but yes I believe the only option would've been what Cow suggested and short check re check. I guess we can call that SCRC?

My guess is that the YUL agent thought what you asked this was a reasonable request but didnt have actual full knowledge of how the system works.

Then in YHZ you got an agent that knew what they were doing or tried and found out it's not possible.

But to make sure I understand correctly, you wanted to fly YHZ YUL YQB YUL BRU but have your luggage fly YHZ YUL BRU? If yes then the above applies.
​​​​​​
vfw614 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes, your assumption is correct. Apparently it depends as others have achieved what I failed to with other airlines / at other airports.

On the day I traveled, I did not really mind in the end as keeping the suitcase allowed me to change into a set of fresh clothing before check-in on a rather hot June day.
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Partially check in luggage on 2 partial tickets like you did?