FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many flights do you actually do?
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:43 pm
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by evergrn
How often do you find mistake fares? You also must have a lot of flexibility not only in terms of time but also destination (go wherever there's special or mistake fare going on).

I could totally see how it's possible to fly 180~200k miles a year, all in premium class, on $25k out of pocket. But I just have a hard time understanding how a typical upper middle-class adult can afford to spend $25k/year on flights... unless you're in a unique position of having no mortgage/rent or are close to retirement and are not making retirement contributions.

Let's say one makes $150k per year pre-tax (that's a reasonable upper-middle class pay in a major metro or even for an FTer, no?). After tax, insurance and maxing out on 401k, you're probably left with ~$85k. If your rent/mortgage is $2500/mo, then we're looking at $55k take-home annually after rent. Assuming $25k for flights and $6500 for hotels (50 paid nights a year at avg $130/night; this doesn't include F&B associated with points stays), we're looking at only $24k remaining for spending for the year after travel expenses. $2000/month is just not sustainable for spending money.
If your hypothetical upper-middle-class guy had a kid, it'd easily cost $30k-40k/yr. I don't think you'd be saying that he can't afford the kid. People make do. And at the end of the day it's about how much you choose to spend on what.

Also, if you're only gone 50 days a year you wouldn't be flying 200k miles or spending $25k, it'd probably be closer to $10k or so for 5 big trips, which is a lot more easily affordable.