FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:05 pm
MatthewLAX
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LIH
Cross this with the "celebrity sightings" thread, though I would use that definition loosely. Was on a 777-222 LAX > ORD yesterday with the GF cabin. I was in 2A and was bounced for an FAM down to 6C. Not great, but short flight so I don't really care. Shortly after I settle into my seat with my PDB (great FAs, by the way) I start to hear a commotion in row 7. A 50-year-old gentleman in a baseball hat is absolutely losing his mind about being in the business class cabin after having walked through the FC cabin. He starts to shout at the FA "I paid $2,500 for this ticket! This is the worst! there is no room for my arms! I want to sit up there!". I would note that later he upped that amount to "Three Grand!". He continues down this path for 15 minutes and eventually has a FA go and get a station manager who comes on and basically says "I get your frustration, there's nothing we can do, there wasn't an aircraft swap so this is actually the seat you booked." This is when the guy starts shouting "I'M JUDGE MATHIS! I'M JUDGE MATHIS AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!". It took every ounce of my self control not to just burst out laughing. Was live texting this to some buddies who were getting a big kick out of it.

During the flight I was chatting with one of the FAs and basically said I think they remained incredibly calm in the face of such a ridiculous tantrum. I also mentioned that I had been bumped for the FAM that was obviously sitting in my previously assigned 2A. I told him I wanted to go up to him and just say "I'm Global Services and you're in my courtroom now judge!".

So ridiculous. I do NOT miss living in LA and being ex-LAX where this seems to be so much more common.
Was it really this guy?

Sucker. I paid $104 for this flight last week and got the free upgrade! GF went out with three opens seats!