FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:20 am
Paul Weber

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Technically, your math doesn't meet their rules.

You can't search each night separately. You have to search both together. If the lower rate doesn't show when you search the consecutive nights together, tough.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I like how SPG did it, when once a claim it was approved, it wasn't "looked at" again if another consecutive BRG is filed.

Marriott does it differently. The agent probably just had enough back and forth and just approved it, which is probably why you didn't even get a final approval reply to your exchange (they didn't want you to reply any further).

The OTAs definitely don't pay it. It's the job of the hotel's Revenue Manager to make sure the Marriott branded sites are the cheapest.

Under SPG, each approved BRG (regardless of whether the stay was consumed) cost the property $25 plus the cost of the points, or the discounted rate plus an additional 25% off.

I'm guessing Marriott does it similarly. Charging properties, albeit the exact numbers I'm not certain of. No way they could even get OTAs to pay, because OTAs aren't the ones with any contractual guarantee of not having a lower price than Marriott.

Marriott has such a guarantee for consumers and enforces it upon properties to ensure they are checking the market and offering the lowest rate available.
This makes a lot more sense, especially when you find hotels which have lower prices across multiple OTAs that aren't a part of the same conglomerate.