FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renting Car with "Standard" License
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:07 pm
RJS5689

Renting Car with "Standard" License

I have a car rental booked for my upcoming vacation. I will be in a location (Iceland) where my US license is sufficient for driving. My only potential worry is I have a "standard" NY license, at the moment, which is not REAL ID compliant, and therefore carries a stamp that says "NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES" on the front of it. I assume this shouldn't trip any red flags to an overly scrutinous rental car agent? I'm sure they'll understand I'm out of the USA and therefore there is nothing "federal" about what I am trying to do? The last thing I want is them looking at my license and thinking it's fake because of this stamp that's on it.

Ironically, I'm currently waiting for my new REAL compliant ID to arrive, but it may or may not get here before my trip. If it does, I'll bring both IDs this way it doesn't look like I was issued a driver's license for the first time two weeks ago, haha (it's a requirement that you be licensed for a minimum of one year and NY licenses don't show the date the driver was first ever licensed, which for me would have been in 2005)