Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting Car with "Standard" License

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Renting Car with "Standard" License

I have a car rental booked for my upcoming vacation. I will be in a location (Iceland) where my US license is sufficient for driving. My only potential worry is I have a "standard" NY license, at the moment, which is not REAL ID compliant, and therefore carries a stamp that says "NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES" on the front of it. I assume this shouldn't trip any red flags to an overly scrutinous rental car agent? I'm sure they'll understand I'm out of the USA and therefore there is nothing "federal" about what I am trying to do? The last thing I want is them looking at my license and thinking it's fake because of this stamp that's on it.

Ironically, I'm currently waiting for my new REAL compliant ID to arrive, but it may or may not get here before my trip. If it does, I'll bring both IDs this way it doesn't look like I was issued a driver's license for the first time two weeks ago, haha (it's a requirement that you be licensed for a minimum of one year and NY licenses don't show the date the driver was first ever licensed, which for me would have been in 2005)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:51 pm

They wouldn't care about real ID. Nobody outside the US does.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:34 pm

Icelandic car rental companies have dealt with US licences for many years, and with cheap flights from NY they've seen their fair share of ones from your state. Real ID is internal to the US, and as s0ssos states above no one outside the US will care.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Non-REAL ID compliant licenses are perfectly valid for driving, so you should have no problems.

With that said, licenses that are marked "not valid for federal purposes" are still not widespread, so it's hard to predict whether problems will arise, especially in foreign countries where people may not understand how US federalism works. I have heard stories of US car rental employees rejecting perfectly valid foreign licenses for arbitrary reasons, and I'm sure this could happen in other countries too.

With that said, I wouldn't be too worried. If you're paranoid, I guess you could carry a printout from the NY DMV explaining the REAL ID Act.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42

...licenses that are marked "not valid for federal purposes" are still not widespread, so it's hard to predict whether problems will arise, especially in foreign countries where people may not understand how US federalism works. I have heard stories of US car rental employees rejecting perfectly valid foreign licenses for arbitrary reasons, and I'm sure this could happen in other countries too.
I think this sums it up. Even in a native English speaking country, an endorsement which suggests that the licence is not somehow valid ("not for Federal purposes", if you don't know what that means, which nobody outside the US will, suggests invalidity of some sort) could well cause problems. In a country which is not native English speaking, even more so. Having said that, with the numbers of Americans renting cars through the major agencies, you might expect that they will have standing instructions on such licences.

As a side note, there was a rule change with the UK licence which has made all the car rental companies require a recent print out to the effect that there are no endorsements - but I have never been asked for such, even though they all "require" it. So the counter agents don't always read the memo.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Just for peace of mind I would also get an international driver's license - you can get it at any AAA office.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Non-REAL ID compliant licenses are perfectly valid for driving, so you should have no problems.

With that said, licenses that are marked "not valid for federal purposes" are still not widespread, so it's hard to predict whether problems will arise, especially in foreign countries where people may not understand how US federalism works. I have heard stories of US car rental employees rejecting perfectly valid foreign licenses for arbitrary reasons, and I'm sure this could happen in other countries too.

With that said, I wouldn't be too worried. If you're paranoid, I guess you could carry a printout from the NY DMV explaining the REAL ID Act.
No, I think the US just has the most oblivious employees. Airline employees/hotel employees saying someone needs a "passport" to go to Puerto Rico, or New Mexico isn't a state. You cannot make these things up.
I think for every one US license rejected in another country there are hundreds of foreign licenses rejected in the US for no reason.

And in Iceland they speak English.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
... Airline employees/hotel employees saying someone needs a "passport" to go to Puerto Rico, or New Mexico isn't a state. You cannot make these things up.
I think for every one US license rejected in another country there are hundreds of foreign licenses rejected in the US for no reason.
Always amazes me when I read posts on NotAlwaysRight where the cashier (checking out alcohol) won't accept a US licence from another US state as proof of identity, as you say because "New Mexico (et al) isn't a state", or won't accept a foreign passport because it's "not government issued".

But airline employees?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Always amazes me when I read posts on NotAlwaysRight where the cashier (checking out alcohol) won't accept a US licence from another US state as proof of identity, as you say because "New Mexico (et al) isn't a state", or won't accept a foreign passport because it's "not government issued".

But airline employees?
They come from the same stock as the cashier. 'American'
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At first I thought this thread was going to be about standard (manual) transmissions... In some countries, to drive a stick you must take your driver's license test in one. Thank God not in Missouri - I took the test in an automatic and then spent that afternoon driving around country roads in a stick, killing it about 25 times in the process.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul

But airline employees?
LOL this post caused me to google NotAlwaysRight...now I have another website to follow after LMAO at some of the stories there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.