FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019
Old May 31, 2019, 8:12 am
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The current rumor that started this thread-- which is highly credible (albeit far from "filled in" at this time) as it came from me-- has nothing to do with SWU's from what I've seen so far.
Seems like the possibilities for mileage upgrades would include:
- Single cabin (Y --> PE, PE --> J)
- Multi cabin (Y --> PE introduced; Y --> J still allowed, may or may not require higher mileage amount)

Given your comments that one reading of this could merely be introduction of PE upgrade awards, my speculation would be that the uncertainty is between these two options... Y --> PE upgrade awards are getting introduced, but it's unknown whether Y --> J will survive.

I suppose it's possible AA would be looking to follow DL down the path of abandoning the upgrade charts and pricing upgrades as the difference between the case fares at a rate of 1 mile/$0.01.

Possibly the end of complimentary Y --> PE for EXP/CK as well?

My worst fear is that they'd start to treat MCE as a separate cabin like DL does with Comfort+, and treat them as capacity-controlled upgrades just like they do with First Class. I know we have seen some shuffling of fare classes already come September, but I hope this is not also part of the "Fare Class Realignment" they're talking about.