FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}
Old May 31, 2019, 3:45 am
happychic

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I never understand what people meant by 'the hotel nickels and dimes you...' What exactly do people expect? Free everything? HHV is like any other hotel where one is expected to pay for things they consume.

​​​​​Off the top of my head:

* Got charged for resort fee for an all points award stay
* Got charged for valet parking for all days stayed when I didn't use their valet
* The breakfast credit was a joke. They didn't really care to implement this for elites. Didn't use the credit because, again, the property is a zoo
* Inquired about upgrade as a Diamond. Didn't get a response pre-arrival and none available during check-in. After a long flight I didn't bother to press for it
* Stood in check-in line for about half an hour. Maybe longer. I didn't really want to keep track after a while.
* Inquired about resort activities pre-arrival. Got told that I would need to be there in person to arrange for activities. Inquired again on arrival and was told to stand in a different line. Didn't bother because again, the place is a zoo
* Food quality on resort is terrible despite the high prices
* Coffee provided in room is of the lowest quality. Shouldn't be used at a property with such a high resort fee
* Housekeeping conveniently forgets to refill some of the amenities on most if not all days. Eg I would find myself consistently in a dilemma: should I let my husband have the cream and sugar in his coffee today or is it my turn?
* Mysteriously got charged with a towel fee. We didn't even visit the pool. Between the room rate and the resort fee, this should have been covered. Ironically the towels, just like the rooms, have seen better days.
* Honestly the furnishings of the room can do with an uplift. Most Holiday Inn Expresses seem luxurious compared to the raggedy room we were in
* Did I mention this place was a zoo and there's a line for the front desk at all times?

The front desk system was down upon checkout due to a system upgrade. I was assured express checkout would work just as well with key cards and pool cards enclosed in the envelope. So, there was no opportunity to review folio upon checkout. Life got busy after returning to mainland with work as well as personal commitments piling up. Got quite a shock when I reviewed credit card statement and saw all the erroneous charges. Had to spend time to reach out to the property after a stay that I would soon rather forget to get the charges refunded.

Nothing I had experienced on its own would have been terrible if it was an isolated incident. However, all together it paints a picture: the property nickels and dimes their guests. If I didn't pay attention to my credit card statement, I may not have realized all the erroneous charges that went through. I also believe the property systemically gives out the minimal benefits possible to elites not as a coincidence but is inline with their strategy. I would absolutely return to Oahu and even Waikiki Beach, but personally, never again to HHV. Hawaii is a magical place and I will have fond memories of my vacation. I just wish that I had picked a property that would have enhanced the magic, not take away from it.