FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2019, 10:20 am
ContinentalVoyager7

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by tris06
By the way is it me or this hotel can be frustrating before even checking in?
I tried booking this hotel with my Australian visa debit card. It failed as they stated it must be a credit card. So I used my family's credit card.
I know it sounds silly not having a credit card but I don't live in Australia and so I don't feel it is a good thing managing an Australian credit card from China.
Also there are severe restrictions on getting a Chinese credit card due to being a foreigner the only possibility is using my wife to get a joint card but... she is not that keen on it.

Anyway, one would have thought the visa debit card would have been okay considering that was the whole point of banks issuing a visa debit card that can be used for online transactions.
And anyway now after paying by credit card I am told their local bank needs the hotel to see the credit card presented upon check in. I think I will go mental if they cannot suggest something like a credit authorisation form from the cardholder or something. I plainly told them to find a solution. I am happy to pay on check in if they need to refund the amount on the credit card. But will be pissed if they cancel my booking or charge me more etc. Sorry for the rant
This is actually very normal as I see many people, friends and family travelling with Debit cards. There are various ways to overcome this.

First is getting a credit authorization form which you mention, ask their reservation that you want a credit card authorisation form. Then get the credit card holder to sign the form and you should be good. Not to worry, I've never seen any hotel cancel your stay cause of this.

Second is paying for the stay upon check-in immediately with your debit card (I've done this once when I had only a debit card with me when I left my CC at home). But by doing that, the hotel will not be able to hold a pre-authorisation/deposit of your debit card since its a debit card, meaning you cannot sign to your room and earn more points by signing F&B or spa or anything to your room. One way to go around this is to give them a cash deposit. Most major hotels take USD, Euro, Auz or local currency for a deposit only (Not for paying for your stay).

If you need help or more explanation, don't hesitate to PM me.