FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Club 49 Announcement 5-28-19
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2019, 12:43 am
ANC RED-EYE
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What exactly is the deal with Seattle Airlines (my Alaskan coworker tells me that that's what they call AS in Alaska) and the state of Alaska? Do they get some sort if special treatment from the state? Why do they give special treatment to Alaskan residents?
lol...it's more or less a monopoly - only recently has DL come in to be a viable alternative, otherwise it's your only airline with reasonable capacity and frequency to get in or out year round. They get "special treatment" from Alaskan passengers in that we routinely pay a whole lot more on comparable routes than anywhere else in the network. Alaska residents get special treatment to keep the love, and $$ flowing (like 2 free bags, and a pretty useless 30% discount off of the super high fare classes to JNU). At least that's the way it all appears to this 15 year Alaska resident.

Don't get me wrong, I like AS MP, and many things about the airline. But I think a little more healthy competition in AK would keep them honest on the fares... Every time someone comes in (or more than one someone), AS participates in fare wars on the similarly timed flights to ensure that they have a hard time turning a profit on one or 2 daily frequencies...and then, eventually, they cease their service. When I first moved up to ANC, DL and CO were both on SEA - ANC. That was short lived, soon both DL and CO were gone. We've gone through many variations on that theme over the years. Currently there are enough carriers in the market to keep everyone at least somewhat honest...