AS Club 49 Announcement 5-28-19

Old May 27, 19, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Post AS Club 49 Announcement 5-28-19

Any idea what it might be?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/club-49

Hey, Alaska! We have a BIG announcement coming tomorrow. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and be one of the first to know!
Old May 27, 19, 11:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
The linked page is live now - additional benefits for residents of Alaska - nice job AS!
Old May 27, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Interesting timing on this, and intentional wording on "Don’t forget to use your constituent fare".

I have heard from the firm that represents AS that they have been getting hit by the Alaska congressional delegation for becoming "just like the other big airlines". This is a smart move, at least for those who live in Alaska and have been frustrated by the decline in QOS and general "Alaska feel" they have known an loved for decades.

Will it actually improve Alaska native views of the airline? I'll be looking forward to hearing that in this thread.
Old May 28, 19, 12:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Originally Posted by jjmadison View Post
I have heard from the firm that represents AS that they have been getting hit by the Alaska congressional delegation for becoming "just like the other big airlines".
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "wow I guess Alaska is cutting another unique differentiator."

Interested to see what the announcement is about.
Old May 28, 19, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
The linked page is live now - additional benefits for residents of Alaska - nice job AS!
Those are long established benefits... something new should start tomorrow (it seems).

AS' Club 49 FB page has a taunting image currently.
Old May 28, 19, 1:25 am

What exactly is the deal with Seattle Airlines (my Alaskan coworker tells me that that's what they call AS in Alaska) and the state of Alaska? Do they get some sort if special treatment from the state? Why do they give special treatment to Alaskan residents?
Old May 28, 19, 1:43 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
What exactly is the deal with Seattle Airlines (my Alaskan coworker tells me that that's what they call AS in Alaska) and the state of Alaska? Do they get some sort if special treatment from the state? Why do they give special treatment to Alaskan residents?
lol...it's more or less a monopoly - only recently has DL come in to be a viable alternative, otherwise it's your only airline with reasonable capacity and frequency to get in or out year round. They get "special treatment" from Alaskan passengers in that we routinely pay a whole lot more on comparable routes than anywhere else in the network. Alaska residents get special treatment to keep the love, and $$ flowing (like 2 free bags, and a pretty useless 30% discount off of the super high fare classes to JNU). At least that's the way it all appears to this 15 year Alaska resident.

Don't get me wrong, I like AS MP, and many things about the airline. But I think a little more healthy competition in AK would keep them honest on the fares... Every time someone comes in (or more than one someone), AS participates in fare wars on the similarly timed flights to ensure that they have a hard time turning a profit on one or 2 daily frequencies...and then, eventually, they cease their service. When I first moved up to ANC, DL and CO were both on SEA - ANC. That was short lived, soon both DL and CO were gone. We've gone through many variations on that theme over the years. Currently there are enough carriers in the market to keep everyone at least somewhat honest...
Legend717 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 28, 19, 8:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Club 49 page has this on it, is it the new benefit?

Ship up to 100 lbs. of freight within Alaska for only $10 when you fly, and $40 any time, with our newest Club 49 benefit. There’s no limit on number of times you ship, but some restrictions apply
Old May 28, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM, New Sagaya
Miles sweepstakes. <yawn>
Old May 28, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Alaskans get the extra bennies partly because many state residents rely heavily on AS not just to get to ANC or outside, but for basic necessities like groceries. Also because intra-Alaska fares tend to be through the roof, particularly to bush destinations because AS usually has to build and maintain its own infrastructure in the smaller communities.

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
lol...it's more or less a monopoly - only recently has DL come in to be a viable alternative, otherwise it's your only airline with reasonable capacity and frequency to get in or out year round. They get "special treatment" from Alaskan passengers in that we routinely pay a whole lot more on comparable routes than anywhere else in the network. Alaska residents get special treatment to keep the love, and $$ flowing (like 2 free bags, and a pretty useless 30% discount off of the super high fare classes to JNU). At least that's the way it all appears to this 15 year Alaska resident.

Don't get me wrong, I like AS MP, and many things about the airline. But I think a little more healthy competition in AK would keep them honest on the fares... Every time someone comes in (or more than one someone), AS participates in fare wars on the similarly timed flights to ensure that they have a hard time turning a profit on one or 2 daily frequencies...and then, eventually, they cease their service. When I first moved up to ANC, DL and CO were both on SEA - ANC. That was short lived, soon both DL and CO were gone. We've gone through many variations on that theme over the years. Currently there are enough carriers in the market to keep everyone at least somewhat honest...
DL is great for ANC and FAI to get outside, but pretty much useless for intra-AK. The seasonal flights they offer to JNU, SIT, and KTN are also helpful but only last three months out of the year. I am waiting for the day that AS buys out Ravn, which eliminates any intra-AK competition.

CO was a mainstay in SEA-ANC all the way up to the UA merger, when they moved the flight to DEN. If my memory serves they had a big mail contract on the route that helped justify sending a 753 on SEA-ANC.

Old May 28, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by williwaw View Post
Miles sweepstakes. <yawn>
Originally Posted by Alaska
It’s what you’ve been waiting for! Over the next two weeks, we’re giving away 250,000 Alaska Airlines miles. 14 Club 49 members will win 10,000 miles each, and one lucky Alaskan will walk away with the grand prize of 110,000 miles! Enter here for your chance to win: http://bit.ly/2Yxsunu
Huh... I would not have guessed giving away miles to 14 15 people would qualify as a "Big Announcement".

Last edited by jjmadison; May 28, 19 at 12:10 pm
Old May 28, 19, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Clearly, AS gives AK residents more benefits in exchange for higher fares. However, to be fair, the cost of doing business in Alaska is higher than the lower 48 (although some rural communities on the West Coast have much higher fares, little competition, and might disagree and ask where their benefits are).
Old May 28, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS
Thanks for posting this, @beckoa , it prompted me to check my Club 49 status, and I discovered they've kicked me off again. Had to call to get reinstated, the website wouldn't let me re-register. Traveling to PDX next week so definitely want the ability to bring back two checked bags for free.
Old May 28, 19, 1:16 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Club 49 page has this on it, is it the new benefit?
thats been around for a year.
Old May 28, 19, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Clearly, AS gives AK residents more benefits in exchange for higher fares. However, to be fair, the cost of doing business in Alaska is higher than the lower 48 (although some rural communities on the West Coast have much higher fares, little competition, and might disagree and ask where their benefits are).
The difference between rural west coast communities and rural Alaska communities is the availability of roads. If for example you were in ADK and wanted to go to Walmart, you'd have to wait till Wednesday and pay a round trip fare of $1300 to get to ANC. There certainly are fares like that on the west coast, but most would just drive. Not an option in most AS Alaska destinations.
Flying for Fun and CalanMan like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: