FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Old May 22, 2019, 9:26 am
Kmxu

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Booked EWR-FRA T class with the return FRA-EWR in R class (new Premium Economy product). At the time, the upcharge for Premium Economy on the outbound was significant and I was purchasing 3 tickets. Called Premier Desk (I'm Platinum) 45 days before the flight to ask about using miles for an upgrade of outbound to Premium Plus. Was told it was 20,000 miles per ticket but would be waitlisted. I took the offer and received confirmation using award code UP52T (flight still remained T class). No GPUs involved.

At T-24hrs at check-in for the outbound, the Premium Economy cleared almost immediately; and to my surprise, we were on the waiting list for Polaris, which cleared about 90 minutes prior to scheduled take-off. Fare class changed from T to PZ. Not a bad thing!

However on the return, which was booked in R class we never hit the wait list for Polaris after check-in. I saw after I returned that according to a Points Guy article, (https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-plus-polaris/) R class is supposedly upgrade-eligible, yet we never hit the Polaris waiting list. Curious as to why this happened.
I am not shocked by the bug in the upgrade system. When I called for return of RPU for SFO-IAD flight, which did not clear, a MP agent told me that the RPU was applied to my entire journey starting from PVG. I am not 100% sure that the agent told me the truth. But there was a thread a few weeks ago that one person got upgrade cleared for SFO-SIN with a RPU (Craziest upgrade I've had on UA (as rev)).
Hopefully, the recent fixes to this system may help to fix such anomalies.

Last edited by Kmxu; May 22, 2019 at 9:28 am Reason: add a link