FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break Caribbean Island Hopping: Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, St. Barts, Anguilla
Old May 21, 2019, 2:39 pm
hauteboy

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Mar 15, 2019
Hotel: Courtyard Bonaire Dive Resort

An early start for me this morning for my dive trip. I had brought my underwater camera but didn't have a good way to attach it so bought a lanyard at the shop. Divers also require a park pass, a bit expensive at $45 but it is good for a year. They used to have one good for a week but stopped this year.

Bonaire Diver/Nature tags

I got suited up at the dive shop then boarded the boat with the divemaster and a few others before setting off to pick up the rest of the group. An interesting group, a girl from the Netherlands there with her husband and kids but they had to alternate diving days, an grandma from Canada who had just started diving a few years ago and was staying in Bonaire for a month, another older couple, and a father/son.

Everyone was unanimous in wanting to dive Klein (Little) Bonaire.. since most of them had already been doing shore dives but you needed a boat to get to Klein. Our first dive site was Forest at the southwest corner. Good weather today and relatively smooth so no issues getting in the water. Spent 52 minutes at max depth of 62'. The quality of the soft sponges and coral was amazing, some of the best I've seen. Saw a lionfish and a sea snake (krait). I ended up near depleting my tank by the time I got back to the boat.

After an hour surface time we continued to Sharon's Serenity. I'd forgotten to charge my camera battery so it ran out fairly quickly unfortunately.

Normally after a dive I'm totally wiped but felt fine getting back to the boat. We dropped off the others before going back to the Courtyard. Then met up with miss and mrs hauteboy who had spent the morning at the beach. We went back to the beach to the King Kong Bonaire food truck which serves hot dogs and burgers.

Food Truck

After lunch we drove around looking for a laundry. There was a self-service place where we were able to start a load. On the way out, Google maps did me wrong and I almost got in an accident going the wrong way on a one-way street! The guy started yelling at me when I drove off. We stopped at town for some ice cream. Then drove back to the hotel and dropped them off while I headed out again to get some more pictures and pickup the laundry.

For dinner we went back to Joe's. This time I got the rack of pork ribs, super tender and way too much to eat at one sitting!

Joe's Pork Ribs