FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SkyMiles award ticket on cancelled CZ route -- options?
Old May 12, 2019, 9:19 am
Roona

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes, I have been stuck by China Eastern previously, but that was in the middle of the routing where IRROPs occurred. Yes, the Diamond Desk rebooked us on Cathay, but that was because we didn't have Chinese visas and it wasn't a daily route.

In advance, they absolutely won't rebook you on another carrier. With or without status.

If you have status, what they WILL do (what they did for me, as I had multiple schedule changes causing problems in advance of the same ticket - but these problems were separate from the IRROPs problems) - is rebook you on any other PARTNER that they can access award space of, regardless of the mileage cost or routing rules.

They absolutely won't liaise with any other airline to "open" space. That is just a waste of time because there is no path to it actually occurring. But the right Supervisor or ticketing desk agent can open/exchange the ticket to open any inventory level on ANY Delta flight, as long as a seat is available.

I don't get what you have against going to CNS via BNE or SYD on VA. VA is a fine airline and J, short haul or long, will be comfortable on them.

Honestly, if I were you, I would look for VA award space from either SYD or BNE. Then ask them to fly you in Delta One Suites from (XXX-)LAX-SYD, and then onward from there on VA to CNS.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Regarding going through SYD or BNE, it simply adds too much travel time. Assuming there was award space, (which there isn't), it would involve connecting TYO-xxx-SYD/BNE through some Asian Skyteam hub, and then onwards to CNS on VA. Total travel time somewhere around 20-25 hours. Flying DL metal via the US would be even worse... 30+ hours. In comparison, the JQ nonstop is 7.5, and my original CZ routing was 13.