Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles award ticket on cancelled CZ route -- options?

Old May 12, 19, 5:59 am
Original Poster

I have a Delta ticketed J award for HND-CAN-CNS on CZ in July. Unfortunately, CZ axed the route.

Seems like I have no good rerouting options here via Skyteam/DL partners. No other ST airline flies to CNS - the only viable routing options I see (ignoring the lack of award space at T-60) would add a stop and increase travel time from 13 to ~20-25 hours depending on the exact routing. It'd be something like: TYO-CAN/PVG/TPE/ICN-SYD/BNE on CZ/MU/CI/KE and SYD/BNE-CNS on VA. That's terrible, and I'd rather book the nonstop JQ redeye in Y...

What can I reasonably expect/get Delta to do here? Liaise with CZ to open J space on TYO-CAN-SYD/BNE? I do see space available on VA's SYD/BNE-CNS. But that's a godawful routing to actually fly.

Would Delta liaise with unaffiliated partners (see: MU/CI/KE) to open award space? I'm guessing no, but maybe?

Or an even longer shot here - would they book me a paid J ticket on CX (TYO-HKG-CNS) or even the JQ direct? I'm also guessing no here, but I've never had to try.

Unfortunately, I suspect it's time to pack it up and suffer a Jetstar redeye in Y. But am I missing anything here? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old May 12, 19, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Roona View Post
Or an even longer shot here - would they book me a paid J ticket on CX (TYO-HKG-CNS) or even the JQ direct? I'm also guessing no here, but I've never had to try.
I'm guessing no. I've been put on competitors before but that was in response to day-of-departure IROPs on paid tickets while I had top status.

Think about whether you're really indifferent between HND and NRT, then look for SkyTeam and VA routings that are fairly time efficient and ask for it specifically. For a date range I checked I got nothing at all on KE with ITA Matrix, even with three segments.

If you have the cash, taking the mileage refund and buying a non-stop is not a terrible idea. Ten hours or more of your time each way ought to have some value.
SCEflyer likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I'm guessing no. I've been put on competitors before but that was in response to day-of-departure IROPs on paid tickets while I had top status.

Think about whether you're really indifferent between HND and NRT, then look for SkyTeam and VA routings that are fairly time efficient and ask for it specifically. For a date range I checked I got nothing at all on KE with ITA Matrix, even with three segments.

If you have the cash, taking the mileage refund and buying a non-stop is not a terrible idea. Ten hours or more of your time each way ought to have some value.
Yeah I figured. Biggest thing is that I need to be functional the next day, and taking a redeye in Y is not a very good way to do that.

Being put on CX's TYO-HKG-CNS would have been ideal - trading 5 hours of travel time for a good night's sleep is well worth it IMO (and basically the trade off I took with my original CZ routing). 12-15 hours and an extra connection, not so much.

Mostly, I was hoping against my better judgement that some people have had experiences being rebooked onto other non-partner airlines in cases like this.
Old May 12, 19, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We've got some very high mileage posters in this forum and maybe you'll get other views. IMHO, asking to be put on a paid ticket in response to a partner discontinuing a route for your award ticket is very, very optimistic. If you have success with that please come back and let us know.
Old May 12, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Yeah I figured. Biggest thing is that I need to be functional the next day, and taking a redeye in Y is not a very good way to do that.

Being put on CX's TYO-HKG-CNS would have been ideal - trading 5 hours of travel time for a good night's sleep is well worth it IMO (and basically the trade off I took with my original CZ routing). 12-15 hours and an extra connection, not so much.

Mostly, I was hoping against my better judgement that some people have had experiences being rebooked onto other non-partner airlines in cases like this.
Yes, I have been stuck by China Eastern previously, but that was in the middle of the routing where IRROPs occurred. Yes, the Diamond Desk rebooked us on Cathay, but that was because we didn't have Chinese visas and it wasn't a daily route.

In advance, they absolutely won't rebook you on another carrier. With or without status.

If you have status, what they WILL do (what they did for me, as I had multiple schedule changes causing problems in advance of the same ticket - but these problems were separate from the IRROPs problems) - is rebook you on any other PARTNER that they can access award space of, regardless of the mileage cost or routing rules.

They absolutely won't liaise with any other airline to "open" space. That is just a waste of time because there is no path to it actually occurring. But the right Supervisor or ticketing desk agent can open/exchange the ticket to open any inventory level on ANY Delta flight, as long as a seat is available.

I don't get what you have against going to CNS via BNE or SYD on VA. VA is a fine airline and J, short haul or long, will be comfortable on them.

Honestly, if I were you, I would look for VA award space from either SYD or BNE. Then ask them to fly you in Delta One Suites from (XXX-)LAX-SYD, and then onward from there on VA to CNS.
tvnwz and RealHJ like this.
Old May 12, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive

DL never ever does that. Speaking from several experiences, where I've tried, but DL always flat out refuses (what agents try to do something to help, those who have to approve always deny in the end, if it even gets to that). All that DL will do is book you on another available (if inventory not open, forget about it) SkyTeam routing, same day or +/- a day or a few, and may do it as an even reissue even if it breaks routing rules/MPM, or cancel and redeposit with no fee. That's it. Nothing more. Ever.

Heck, even when DL's own flights are canceled, if it's not DL ticketed, DL will refuse to help the passenger (regardless of status with DL) or the ticketing airline.

If you wanted this level of service, you should have booked your award with UA. UA will easily do that for anyone (no status): if an award flight is canceled or delayed, UA will buy you the last seat full fare J ticket for you on a *A airline if you so request, and give you some 10K or 20K miles compensation for the "inconvenience" of a direct vs connecting flight (that is day of flight though; in advance still UA will pay for your hotel, if an extra night is required, and give you much more freedom and options than DL ever will).
Old May 12, 19, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Yes, I have been stuck by China Eastern previously, but that was in the middle of the routing where IRROPs occurred. Yes, the Diamond Desk rebooked us on Cathay, but that was because we didn't have Chinese visas and it wasn't a daily route.

In advance, they absolutely won't rebook you on another carrier. With or without status.

If you have status, what they WILL do (what they did for me, as I had multiple schedule changes causing problems in advance of the same ticket - but these problems were separate from the IRROPs problems) - is rebook you on any other PARTNER that they can access award space of, regardless of the mileage cost or routing rules.

They absolutely won't liaise with any other airline to "open" space. That is just a waste of time because there is no path to it actually occurring. But the right Supervisor or ticketing desk agent can open/exchange the ticket to open any inventory level on ANY Delta flight, as long as a seat is available.

I don't get what you have against going to CNS via BNE or SYD on VA. VA is a fine airline and J, short haul or long, will be comfortable on them.

Honestly, if I were you, I would look for VA award space from either SYD or BNE. Then ask them to fly you in Delta One Suites from (XXX-)LAX-SYD, and then onward from there on VA to CNS.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Regarding going through SYD or BNE, it simply adds too much travel time. Assuming there was award space, (which there isn't), it would involve connecting TYO-xxx-SYD/BNE through some Asian Skyteam hub, and then onwards to CNS on VA. Total travel time somewhere around 20-25 hours. Flying DL metal via the US would be even worse... 30+ hours. In comparison, the JQ nonstop is 7.5, and my original CZ routing was 13.
Old May 12, 19, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
DL never ever does that. Speaking from several experiences, where I've tried, but DL always flat out refuses (what agents try to do something to help, those who have to approve always deny in the end, if it even gets to that). All that DL will do is book you on another available (if inventory not open, forget about it) SkyTeam routing, same day or +/- a day or a few, and may do it as an even reissue even if it breaks routing rules/MPM, or cancel and redeposit with no fee. That's it. Nothing more. Ever.

Heck, even when DL's own flights are canceled, if it's not DL ticketed, DL will refuse to help the passenger (regardless of status with DL) or the ticketing airline.

If you wanted this level of service, you should have booked your award with UA. UA will easily do that for anyone (no status): if an award flight is canceled or delayed, UA will buy you the last seat full fare J ticket for you on a *A airline if you so request, and give you some 10K or 20K miles compensation for the "inconvenience" of a direct vs connecting flight (that is day of flight though; in advance still UA will pay for your hotel, if an extra night is required, and give you much more freedom and options than DL ever will).
Thanks, I appreciate it. Guess there's nothing left to do but cancel the award. Lessons learned.
Old May 12, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Regarding going through SYD or BNE, it simply adds too much travel time. Assuming there was award space, (which there isn't), it would involve connecting TYO-xxx-SYD/BNE through some Asian Skyteam hub, and then onwards to CNS on VA. Total travel time somewhere around 20-25 hours. Flying DL metal via the US would be even worse... 30+ hours. In comparison, the JQ nonstop is 7.5, and my original CZ routing was 13.
That is true. Best you can do - if you have the time - is to have DL book you on routing that has a <24h (say 23h, 22h) "stopover" that you desire, that you otherwise wouldn't be able to book. You should get even exchange now, so the best you can make of longer routing - if you have the time, that is - is to depart, say, a day earlier and work in a stopover, somewhere that you'd actually like to spend some time, on the way.

Look at options via TPE on CI, DPS and CGK on GA, HAN and SGN on VN, in addition to the MU (PVG), CZ (CAN) and KE (ICN) options.

That's the best you can make of this situation..
Old May 12, 19, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does VA fly to Australia from SIN? If so, you could ask DL to open J award space on NRT-SIN and combine it with VA SIN-SYD (or BNE etc.) connecting to VA into Cairns.

As usual, you'll get the best results if you first determine what reasonable routing you want and even find award space on the major segments that are operated by partners. Within some alliances, close partners sometimes do open award space upon request, but this is complicated by the fact that CZ caused the problem and is no longer a partner. Still, if there's any hope at all for an exception regarding getting another carrier to open award space, it would be on VA or MU or KE flights since those are DL's closest partners near your route.
Old May 12, 19, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Thanks, I appreciate it. Guess there's nothing left to do but cancel the award. Lessons learned.
Have you tried calling CZ to see if they can reroute you since they cancelled the route?
Old May 12, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Wow! I never knew UA would do all of that. Thanks for the info.

Frankly, its shocking to me that DL is known as the best service-oriented airline, and also that one that purports to give its employees the most discretion on a case-by-case basis.

If UA can do it, I wonder why DL won't.

Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post
Have you tried calling CZ to see if they can reroute you since they cancelled the route?
I think this would lead to trouble. First off, its on DL stock, so another carrier won't touch it without working with the issuing carrier, as its not day of or IRROPs.

Second, I have tried calling the Chinese SkyTeam partners, and if you can't speak Mandarin, its hard to even have them help you select a seat. Even if one did speak, those partners aren't known for their high service levels and frankly, I think this would be the most fruitless path to pursue for OP.
Old May 12, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post

You'd have better luck calling Santa Claus to see if he could reroute you on the sleigh.

I had a DL-ticketed, MU flown route get canceled the day before flight in anticipation of a typhoon. MU absolutely refused to do anything about it. They wouldn't rebook, they repeatedly claimed all the seats on later flights were booked (even though I was looking at literally dozens of available seats online), they referred me back to DL and DL spent a solid hour going back and forth with MU getting the same nonsense.

Eventually DL got me rebooked on exactly the flight I had been telling MU I wanted to be on from the beginning. And that was a paid ticket on MU, supposedly DL's closest Chinese partner, flying TO mainland China. A DL-ticketed award flight on CZ to an airport not well served by ST partners? I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't know any other way to route this on ST that doesn't add a stop and some substantial travel time. I think MU flies PVG-CNS seasonally, but I'm guessing July isn't seasonal. No other ST partner flies ICN, PVG or SIN to CNS direct, which would be the three easiest airports to get to from Tokyo flying ST. Any other routing is going to require a stop in PVG/ICN/SGN/TPE and then SYD.

They definitely won't book paid on a competitor so the only remaining option is an additional stop and more time. If that doesn't work, OP will have to just cancel the award. I do think DL would go to great lengths to rebook award travel but there just isn't a routing that doesn't add half a day.
Old May 12, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), TK Elite (*AG), QR Gold (OWS), LA Gold (OWR)
I'm not sure how the connection would line up, but you might also try looking for TN (Air Tahiti Nui) award space from NRT-PPT-AKL, and then VA from AKL-SYD/BNE-CNS. I dunno why DL partners with them for mileage redemption, but that might be an option. You have to call to book with TN.
Old May 13, 19, 2:34 pm

OP, try routing TYO-LAX-SYD on DL metal and SYD-CNS on VA. Lol.

LAX-SYD now has suites with doors afaik.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: