FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A way to improve Tier Point Runs and Premium Fare Deals threads
Old May 10, 2019, 2:25 am
onobond
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by alex67500
The main advantage of PFD and TPR threads is that we're all subscribed to them, so we get alerts when new posts arrived. Too many alerts, of course, but still. If we start having dedicated threads for each new deal / opportunity without a mention in a master thread, then we'll miss them.

One solution, but that may be impractical with mods, would be pre-publishing moderation of these 2 threads. And then we could have a more free "I need X TPs etc." thread where people are free not to subscribe to. The process when you find a deal would be:
- Create a new thread, preferably with a [PFD] or [TPR] tag in the subject
- You post in PFD / TPR with a short explanation and a link to your thread
- Mods need to approve it before it's published. You could have a small whitelist of trusted users outside of the mod team.

But the overhead for admins might be a bit much... And it reduces the possibility of asking questions regarding improving a TP-Run.

The other solution mentioned upthread is to have the "I need this by this date" thread and let the mods do the policing (i.e. moving the annoying questions). Keep it in the stickies as kind of a honey pot for new users. But it will still require a lot of work from the mods.
Appreciating your definition of what could be problematic with my suggestion for changes. It's much easier to work with these kind of constructive comments, so kudos !

Although not being an IT-guru myself, my guess is that the problems concerning the subscribtion process is less complicated to solve. Maybe hitting two birds with one stone, as just the word 'subforum' seems to be discouraging to some posters. So, lets keep calling the PFD & TPR threads, just that. Under that thread headline, I believe in 'sub-threads' separate for every deal/destination, but importantly all collected under the common headline. From my point of view it would be a semantical change, but with terms that maybe would enable the BAFT Mods to make the changes internally. I can compromise around the suggestion with all deals collected under one headline. As per the structural organisation I suggested above, it's just to remove one sub-headline and promote the threads by letting the PFD & TPR have their autonomous thread title.

Allow me to introduce version 1.1 :

British Airways - Executive Club
- Stickies
- - (stickies threads)

- Normal threads
- - TP-run deals (this being only the common headline for all TPR deals)
- - - TP run deals subthreads. One for each fare/destination(s)
- - Premium Fares deals (as for the TPR, just a common headline)
- - - Premium fares deals subthreads. One for each fare/destination(s)
- - Expired deals, discussions and itinerary requests (maybe the latter should have it's own subforum?)

Welcoming more thoughts on this. There are probably more areas to compromise about, to make changes work as good as possible for the BAFT community.