FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....
Old May 8, 2019, 8:49 am
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by st530
Are you suggesting the ex-IAH 772 routes are only being served by GE-powered exCO planes (and if so, is there a reason for that)?
I believe that is the case. The current 77Y (GE90 772 in old CO configuration) and 77E (GE90 772 in Polaris configuration) are being used interchangeably for now, since only 2 77E frames are actually in service, which aren't sufficient to reliably dedicate to a single route. On the other hand, the 77N (PW 772 in Polaris configuration) is both dedicated to certain routes where P+ is being sold, and surplus frames are being used interchangeably with 77J/Q (PW 772 in old UA three-cabin configuration).

In the next few months when UA starts finalizing its winter schedule, I would expect more city pairs to be selling P+ as additional 77E are returned to the fleet. My guess is the remaining long haul EWR 77Y markets (PVG, PEK, GRU, DEL when it resumes) will be prioritized, with IAH/ORD 77Y markets to follow in the summer 2020 schedule.

Even though the cabin configuration will be the same, the fleets need to be distinguished internally because of the engines, for performance as well as parts/spares logistics.