FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2019, 12:55 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm not actually sure how this is possible, given the crew duty limits and rest hours required. Duty period starts at 7:10pm for briefing, and would end at 9:05am (landing +30 minutes), implying a 14 hour period. I assume the period at CMB would be classified the same as the rest period in "split duty" is classified and ground hours accrued. Anyway, I know long-hauls are permissable with the caveat that rest periods of 3 hours are required over X length, and 4 hours required over Y length. I can't recall what those are.

So, here's what I suspect will happen: The crew will be split in two, and half will "rest" during the way down after meal service, and the other half will "rest" during the return after meal service. It will really reduce manpower post meal service, although in reality they don't do much then anyway. Still, not an ideal solution.

It either has to be what I'm proposing above, or there could be something I'm overlooking. Since this isn't a continuous flying hour pattern, similar to say a TPE or MNL split duty? (late night departure, 5-6 hours on the ground which is classified as ground hours and a hotel room is granted, followed by an early morning departure. Duty hours for split duty are in the ~9-12 hour range.) The difference with TPE and MNL, though is the flying hours are minimal and they don't hit any of the regs requirements for mandatory rest. Whereas CMB has around ~10 hours maybe more of flying hours in the pattern. 14 hours would be the most extreme split duty I've seen, plus there are far more flying hours to CMB and far fewer ground hours. Anyone know the regs precisely?

I'm certain about the 3 hour rest requirement, and 4 hour requirement for long-hauls. I just can't recall what are the underlying working criteria that must be hit for those to be needed.

I'm sure it's aggressive even if allowed, and there won't be much if any margin for error. Unless CX is to operate out of compliance. But I think my guess above about half the crew resting one way and the other the other way, is most likely. I think the high # of flying hours demands a rest period of at least 3 hours. This would be achievable half on the inbound, half on the outbound if they go to rest immediately after meal service.

Can't begrudge CX for doing it though. It is simply not palatable to send 10-20 employees every day to one of the 5 star hotels in CMB right now. CX may be cost cutting but they are safe and not a bad company, and I imagine they will revert to "normalcy" at some point later on.

Last edited by QRC3288; May 7, 2019 at 1:01 am