FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019, 9:46 am
ffay005

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Helsinki to Beijing and back. On both directions it was one-tray service, which I somehow can understand on the overnight outbound leg of only 7hrs, but definately not on daytime inbound leg of 8hrs, when there is plenty of time for anything! When I asked about it on the way back, the reply was that as the outbound sector is one tray service due to short flight time, they cannot do it another way on the inbound, which to my understanding is total b******t.
I'd say it's only semi-BS. They'd need to provide PEK catering with different kinds of plates etc if they want to do a different kind of service on the inbound.

Solution? Proper trayless service both ways!

On inbound flight they didn't have any menu cards, as "they were accidently loaded onto some other flight", but the choices were explained to each passenger the way they do it on intra-European flights. The menu, however was not the one you available online (I checked it right away when hearing no menu cards on this flight), but something different. That either explains why they didn't have the menu cards, or that the menu available online is outdated.
This sounds a bit like a last-minute equipment swap, maybe? Maybe you got DEL or JFK catering? But of course, they should have had a matching menu loaded, nevertheless.

One again: the dishes, especially ex-HEL, taste so much better than they look. Finnair really should start plating the mains onboard instead of just heating them up, it would take the dishes also visually to the level they mostly deserve!
At AY Kitchen we saw how the "plating" works in practice: they empty a black plastic bowl of frozen food on a china plate... (Doesn't apply to all mains, but to those that come from Germany)

EL-PEK Dessert: Strawberry cheese cake, tasty, even though some guys here are of another opinion. Yammy Jymy Coconut-Lime ice cream.
I find the cake tasty, too. The ice cream isn't actually ice cream, as in there's no cream in it, so it's vegan. I was quite surprised to learn this because it tastes and feels very much like real ice cream to me. All other vegan "ice creams" I've tried leave a lot to be desired except this Jymy Coconut-Lime. It's excellent, fresh and tasty.