FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China/HK Dual Number SIM Cards
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2019, 9:55 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
China/HK Dual Number SIM Cards

So...both China Mobile HK and China Unicom HK used to sell dual number prepaid SIM cards (I even had one of these at one point, but unfortunately I forgot to top it off and it expired). Now it seems that both companies have responded to the real name registration requirement on the +86 number by ceasing to sell prepaid SIM cards, and now only sell postpaid cards with the 1-card-2-number feature. CSL also appears to have a 1-card-2-number feature, but again, it's postpaid and requires a contract for the best rates.

I am in China probably 1-4 weeks per year, so it doesn't make sense for me to do a long term contract. I currently have a China Unicom HK SIM that I keep active at all times (HK$6 per month service fee), but it has only a HK number, not a China number. This is annoying for all of the wifi hotspots with those damn captive portals that for some reason require a +86 number in order to use (you enter the +86 number and it texts you a code that you can use to enable wifi). So, I would like to get a card with a +86 number on it.

Anyone know of any of the 1-card-2-number products that are currently sold, like this one
https://1cm.hk.chinamobile.com/onlin....html?cid=1328
or this one
https://www.cuniq.com/hk/services-pl...ared-plan.html
(1) Can be purchased without a contract (so you'd pay a higher monthly fee but not be locked into paying that fee every single month)? and
(2) Can be suspended for a much smaller cost than paying for the service itself? Ideally, between HK$6 and HK$30 per month.

For example, China Unicom mainland SIM cards do have the option to suspend the service for something like 2-6 RMB per month. If I could sign up for one of these services, give them my passport to enable the mainland number, and then suspend the service when I leave and re-enable it when I come back, that would be ideal. It looks like CMHK charges HK$18/month just for the mainland number (not sure if that would apply while it's suspended too, if that's even possible), but I might be willing to deal with a greater monthly fee just to get rid of the annoyance of not being able to use those wifi hotspots unless I ask my wife for the code that the portal returns to her phone.

I'd rather avoid getting a mainland SIM card because then I'd have to keep my VPN running when I am on LTE, which kills the battery faster.