FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:40 am
UKTraveller4Fun

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I wonder if this is a W-wide move away from offering normal breakfasts? I hope not. I’m lucky to be able to afford the kind of breakfast that I would like on a given day, as is almost anyone who stays at a W. A breakfast “benefit” which just gives me muffins or something else the GM thinks I should have is worthless to me.
I am a little concerned one of two things is happening as I have heard a similar line at various hotels both Marriott and ex SPG since August.

Basically that Marriott wants regional compliance on the breakfast offerings so if someone goes to say a W anywhere in Europe they get the same elite offering for breakfast. Or in America it maybe slightly different to the Europe offering but essentially the American ones should all offer the same. This isn't just for W but the Marriott club lounge offerings etc as well.

I have heard this or similar at several places now that have decreased their offerings. I am unsure if it's hotels using it as an excuse to offer less and thus try and increase revenue or they have taken a guide from Marriott and interpreted it incorrectly. I have to say it has lead me to switching some business to Hilton who always seem to offer me as a Diamond breakfast in the lounge or restuarant! Not saying all Hilton do this or wishing to start a debate on Hilton simply illustrating it has had a negative effect on my loyalty and Marriott stays.

Whatever is going on it is starting to feel very cheap by Marriott and and must say when the lounge at Marriott PHL Airport was closed over the weekend the option of $10 F&B credit or 1k points seemed very weak rather than offering me breakfast in the restaurant.

If the lurkers have any information to if there is a policy by Marriott to standardise the offerings it would be good to know as unfortunately in a scenario like this you end up with the lowest common denominator and that's a very poor / insulting offering for breakfast!!