FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:01 am
chrism20

Originally Posted by adobbing

Agreed, although I suppose the same could have been said about Coylumbridge.
I read some trip advisor reviews post Hilton and it doesn’t make pretty reading.

I saw recently that the Haymarket Gap site has now been sold and new plans submitted, so if the originally planned hotel goes ahead, it would be almost next door. With the former Principal hotels joining IHG, it’s now getting a bit crowded!
Yes the TA reviews of Coylumbridge are quite entertaining.

I think its more a case of the Hilton marketplace is now really crowded rather than the more hotels in general making it crowded as rates across Edinburgh have been fairly consistent even with the arrival of additional properties. There is additional full service competition in the area now though with the old Premier Inn now being a Leonardo (Which actually isn't too bad).

If you go back a few years the Hilton options in Edinburgh were the WA, Hilton Airport and the Grosvenor. If you didn't want to stay at the airport and the WA was out of your price range your only option was the Grosvenor if you wanted to stay Hilton. Nowadays you have the option of the WA, Carlton, DT and the Hampton in the City Centre with a refurbished DT and Hampton at the airport as well as the Grosvenor which incidentally is the only one that hasn't had any cash spent on it.

The Haymarket gap will be interesting to see what branding will be proposed for the hotel this time, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a combined Crowne Plaza and Staybridge similar to Manchester Oxford Rd. I can't see it being a Hilton brand tbh but you never know.