Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:09 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Well my wife and I decided to attend the end of the Fringe at the last minute, and a "compact room" was going for £93 so I booked it, initially app showed only rooms in the other building, but shortly before checking in app showed upgrade to a deluxe or superior or something (the app is currently not loading so can't check) in the main building.

Yes it was old and creaky, but my wife enjoyed the architecture of the building and in particular the ceiling of our bathroom. The bathroom was huge, nearly same size as the rest of the room, but we were unable to frame a photo that would show its size. Despite the age of the pipes, I had no problems with the plumbing, in fact my wife said this was the best shower she's ever had in a UK Hilton; whereas some of the newly built Hamptons can't get the shower to deliver a consistent water temperature or pressure... I'm looking at you West End (see the thread for that property when I get round to posting there)

I see what everyone means about the bar and restaurant, breakfast time did feel really cramped. Someone ordered 2 plates of 2 poached eggs and made it very clear to everyone sitting in the closest row, several times, that this meant 4 eggs in total, yet 2 plates with 1 egg were delivered.

Just an observation, I didn't hear any staff with Scottish accents. Unlike say some of the properties in Dundee or Aberdeen where it can take a bit of getting used to, for me at least.

I wouldn't want to spend too much time in the hotel, but otherwise I would stay again if the price is right, the other properties were all going for £150-£250, for obvious reasons.

My wife thought the location was a bit far from the tourist area, yet it was very close to one of the Fringe events we attended so that worked out nicely. (She's not as familiar with Edinburgh as me, and she didn't think it was worth it to pay for the bus or tram!)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 am
ECR

There is a message on the Hilton app saying that this hotel will cease to operate as a Hilton from 30 April 2019. It is always sad to see hotels leave the chain and options reduce.
MoodyB likes this.

Last edited by ECR; Apr 23, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ECR
There is a message on the Hilton app saying that this hotel will case to operate as a Hilton from 30 April 2019. It is always sad to see hotels leave the chain and options reduce.
I wonder whether it will pass to Britannia Hotels, so that they can work their magic and bang the final nail in it’s coffin?

I have stayed there many times over the years, with some fond memories, but also had some nightmare stays there!
I used to really dread playing the parking space lottery outside the hotel!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:26 pm

It will be a terrible shame if it ends up as a Britannia.

I’m surprised that it’s leaving completely. With a bit of cash and some TLC it would be a very nice Curio.
adobbing, hugolover and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
It will be a terrible shame if it ends up as a Britannia.

I’m surprised that it’s leaving completely. With a bit of cash and some TLC it would be a very nice Curio.
Agreed, although I suppose the same could have been said about Coylumbridge.
I read some trip advisor reviews post Hilton and it doesn’t make pretty reading.

I saw recently that the Haymarket Gap site has now been sold and new plans submitted, so if the originally planned hotel goes ahead, it would be almost next door. With the former Principal hotels joining IHG, it’s now getting a bit crowded!
MoodyB likes this.

Last edited by adobbing; Apr 23, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:35 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Slightly off topic for this thread, but the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton was the polar opposite when I stayed there last week. Despite being in an old building - everything was to a high standard - staff, room, decoration etc. Great views across to the Scott Monument too if you get a high floor room towards that end of the hotel.
And stuck in the middle of millions (well it seems that way) of clueless tourists.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stc
And stuck in the middle of millions (well it seems that way) of clueless tourists.
Yes, but once you are in your nice room you can forget about the millions of clueless tourists. When you are in your room in the Grosvenor you cannot forget how miserable it looks.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:02 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Yes, but once you are in your nice room you can forget about the millions of clueless tourists. When you are in your room in the Grosvenor you cannot forget how miserable it looks.
Yes, but ...

I don't go to Scotland (or Edinbugh) to hide in my room. Getting to the interesting parts of town is much easier from places other than the Carlton.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by adobbing

Agreed, although I suppose the same could have been said about Coylumbridge.
I read some trip advisor reviews post Hilton and it doesn’t make pretty reading.

I saw recently that the Haymarket Gap site has now been sold and new plans submitted, so if the originally planned hotel goes ahead, it would be almost next door. With the former Principal hotels joining IHG, it’s now getting a bit crowded!
Yes the TA reviews of Coylumbridge are quite entertaining.

I think its more a case of the Hilton marketplace is now really crowded rather than the more hotels in general making it crowded as rates across Edinburgh have been fairly consistent even with the arrival of additional properties. There is additional full service competition in the area now though with the old Premier Inn now being a Leonardo (Which actually isn't too bad).

If you go back a few years the Hilton options in Edinburgh were the WA, Hilton Airport and the Grosvenor. If you didn't want to stay at the airport and the WA was out of your price range your only option was the Grosvenor if you wanted to stay Hilton. Nowadays you have the option of the WA, Carlton, DT and the Hampton in the City Centre with a refurbished DT and Hampton at the airport as well as the Grosvenor which incidentally is the only one that hasn't had any cash spent on it.

The Haymarket gap will be interesting to see what branding will be proposed for the hotel this time, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a combined Crowne Plaza and Staybridge similar to Manchester Oxford Rd. I can't see it being a Hilton brand tbh but you never know.
stc likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chrism20

The Haymarket gap will be interesting to see what branding will be proposed for the hotel this time, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a combined Crowne Plaza and Staybridge similar to Manchester Oxford Rd. I can't see it being a Hilton brand tbh but you never know.
From what I remember, originally it was going to be a higher end IHG outlet on the site. But that was back around 2008 - 2013 when “Tiger Developments” were going to be the developer with “Interserve”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/...00/6979684.stm

I think there was a revised plan submitted last year or earlier this year and can’t remember if any specific chain was mentioned.?

Last edited by adobbing; Apr 26, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old May 1, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if the hotel closed on 30th April, or is still open but operated independently?
Old May 1, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very much still open, now called Edinburgh Grosvenor Hotel.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hugolover
Very much still open, now called Edinburgh Grosvenor Hotel.
https://www.edinburghgrosvenorhotel.co.uk/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.